Ruud 3/12 ton - Help

Old 06-08-14, 01:56 PM
Ruud 3/12 ton - Help

So 1 and 1/2 years ago this condensing unit was replaced. This unit supports the second floor of my home. The last few days I am noticing that the air is not as cool nor is the air blowing out of the vents as hard as I think it should be. The filter for the intake in the second floor hallway was changed less than a month ago.

The fan on this unit is turning though I don't feel it is turning as smooth as the other condenser - speed seems normal

Just so we are able to help each other - There are two condensers (one for the first floor and one for the second)

There is a unit in the basement (which I believe supports the first floor) and another unit in my attic (which I believe supports the second floor)

Please review and reply with your thoughts on what's going on - thanks !

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-14, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The condensor unit is outside and does not affect airflow inside.
The inside unit is a furnace or air handler and that's the unit that affects interior airflow.

Old 06-08-14, 04:02 PM
PJmax,

Thanks for the reply. Would the unit in the attic be the air handler for the second floor and the one in the basement the one for the first floor? Would this be a basic configuration?

I would imagine there is some kind of a blower motor involved?

Thanks again

Old 06-08-14, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... that would be the typical setup.

Each unit has its own blower. The blower would determine the amount of air but not really how cold it is. If you had an issue with the coil icing up that could cause reduced airflow with higher temps.

Do you have a removable cover over the coil in your air handler ?
You could remove it and scope out the coil. If your air handler is like my furnace and it doesn't have an easily removable cover..... check the larger copper line where it goes into the unit for icing.