Central AC unit not automatically shutting off.

Old 06-10-14, 06:47 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central AC unit not automatically shutting off.

Hi,

First time posting here. I donít know a whole lot about central AC so I figured this would be a good place to post a question. I have an older central AC compressor. I donít even know the brand as it was there when I bought the house 9 years ago. I have a typical Honeywell thermostat. Heat/cool. Fan: Auto/on. Nothing fancy.

First I do have a question. Now matter what the inside temperature is inside the house the second I turn the t-stat to cool the outside central compressor turns on. Pretty much the cool function on the t-stat is acting as an on switch. Is that supposed to happen?

The main problem I am having is that the outside condenser will not shut off unless I turn the thermostat from cool to off.

IE when I have the AC engaged the fan is on auto and is running. When I get the desired temp (Just say 65) the inside fan (blower) shuts off like it is supposed to but the outside until will just keep running.

What could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-14, 06:50 AM
T
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the t-stat is bad.

Old 06-10-14, 05:33 PM
E
Changed the t-stat out. Still having the same issue

Old 06-28-14, 05:38 PM
J
we had the similar problem lately. yesterday ,after we replaced a new contactor in our outside unit. Now both units shuts off same time. only problem we have now is that at shut off there is noise in our outer unit????

Old 06-28-14, 06:12 PM
C
The outside unit keep running, is because the contactor button did not bounce back up, so you can try to spray some WD40 under that button, if that does not work, replace the contactor.