Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

A/C not cooling, outside fan not spinning but is w/ stick method, still not cool

A/C not cooling, outside fan not spinning but is w/ stick method, still not cool

Old 06-17-14, 03:38 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, really need some help. In true Murphy's Law form, our A/C has decided to quit the weekend before we have a bunch of family coming in from out of town for my son's birthday.

First issue noticed was that the A/C wasn't cooling anymore. Outside temp >90F, inside temp 80+F. I initially thought maybe the filter was clogged (replaced 4 months ago) so I pulled it out to see if that helped -- no luck.

Then I went outside to see the unit, and realized the fan wasn't spinning. I could hear a buzzing sound. I searched through the forum and found the "stick method" which got my fan spinning, but the air is still not cool and the house wasn't cooling down (I let it run for about 15 minutes and the temp went UP a couple degrees -- should I have waited longer?)

We have a Goodman Model CKL49-1L unit. I took a photo of the capacitor since I figured the stick method turning the fan on points to that being an issue -- it isn't bulging or anything. Either way, the air is still not cold from the vents.

Any help/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-14, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Change the capacitor as a first step. The second step is to replace the fan motor.

Old 06-17-14, 06:38 PM
C
Is the compressor running ?

Old 06-17-14, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The compressor probably dropped out on thermal protection when the fan motor stopped.

If the fan spins freely with power removed, I would replace that 40 + 5 x 440 dual cap.

http://securenet.goodmanmfg.com/pdf/...it/RP-466A.pdf

Old 06-19-14, 01:23 PM
Z
I just picked one up from my local Johnstone Supply. Will install and let you all know.
The fan spins freely with power off, and gets the fan spinning when the power is on.

Old 06-19-14, 06:53 PM
Z
All good!

Looks like replacing the capacitor did the trick!
Thanks for the help.