Difficult problem with a/c drainage pipes

Old 06-17-14, 07:11 PM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Difficult problem with a/c drainage pipes

Hi all,
Is there any super duper insulating material that will prevent temperature transfer through ceiling board? Every 2 to 3 years I get texture peeling in a small ceiling area that has to be repaired. The ceiling itself is sound, it is not soft and moist. above the ceiling and pressed hard onto it in the attic is the a.c .condensate pipe. I have it insulated but there is a 'u piece' of pipe that is pressed hard down onto the ceiling sheet rock right in the area that peels in the room below. I'm thinking that the difference in temperature over time is what causes the texture to peel off. I even thought about cutting the ceiling away and installing a 'false' vent. I might be able to force in another piece of insulating material under the 'U bend', but what would be the best? Maybe a thin piece of plastic sheet?

Thanks

Old 06-17-14, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
Is there enough room to slip some rigid foam (XPS, the pink stuff, not the white stuff) between the pipes and drywall? Otherwise my next thought is expanding foam from a can.

Old 06-17-14, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
If you have gas heat you may be able to eliminate that P-Trap.

Old 06-18-14, 07:24 AM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C drainage pipe

Thanks Folks. I'll try to see if I can get the XPS in. Failing that I can try with the foam can. I was just up there taking a look, it's a devil to get to as the p-trap is very nearly under a nailed down piece of 'attic floor'. It's also butted up fairly tightly to a crossmember. I do have gas heat, not sure how that plays into a p-trap? I know it sounds drastic but if I replumb the piping I think the best way to get at it is by cutting a hole in the ceiling.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: