AC not cooling

Old 06-18-14, 11:44 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC not cooling

Well the title is pretty generic but here is my troubleshooting that I have done.

This system is maybe 15 years old. It is in a house that I am moving into so I don't have much history on how it performed last year.

This year when I first turned on the system, the compressor was not starting. I replaced the capacitor and compressor fires up. It is not making any unusual noises.

The system was not cooling so I first changed the filter and cleaned the A coil. I used the spray non rinsing foam. I also used a cleaner that I got at the local AC supply that I used in a pump sprayer. I flushed the coil with lots of water. Sadly it still has some dirt but leaps and bounds better than before. I also cleaned the condenser coil outside by removing the top and spraying the cleaner and then flushing with water from inside out.

Still not cooling and I noticed that the high pressure line is frosting at the outside unit. It is the same amount of frosting on both sides of the dryer. The 6 capillary tubes at the A coil are also frosting and icing. All of the capillary tubes are frosting/icing equally.

I wanted your thoughts before I have someone come out and take a look. I don't particular trust someone without personal recommendations. I know that this can be a dirty business with people ripping you off and selling you stuff you don't need. Many of these guys are probably paid commissions.

I have not moved into this house yet and I have a couple weeks so i am not in emergency mode. Currently I am painting and replacing flooring before we move in. Would be nice to have colder temps to work in but I can manage for now.

Old 06-18-14, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,813 Votes on 2,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you have plenty of airflow now across the A coil then it sounds like your are low on refrigerant.

Old 06-21-14, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The frosting at the filter drier may indicate a restricted filter/drier.
If the drier is not located within the condenser; I'd pump the system's refrigerant down into the condenser & valve it off.

Remove & replace the filter/drier & see if that helps.
The charge would have to be checked...

Is the indoor airflow strong or weak?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: