AC outside fan does not work properly

Old 06-24-14, 07:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC outside fan does not work properly

Hello!!!
When I turn on ac the fan starts, but can be work just from couple minutes to 1-2 hours. Sometimes I have to press the button located on the bottom(probably reset) to run the unit. Service man came to me, have to looked at my unit, change the direction of fan, charge me 400 $, and said the I need to replace motor fan, and it cost me 650 $ . Is somebody can give me any advise.?
This is a rheem rpka 031jaz.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-14, 10:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's a litle hard to follow you. Did the tech already change the direction of the fan and is charging you $400 or is that what he wants to do.

If the system was running fine and then just stopped working correctly then the fan may need a new start/run capacitor. If he has already done the work then he is overcharging you. The fan running backwards is a pretty rare problem. The capacitor going bad is a fairly common problem.

The fan motor may have been bad all along in which case he should have told you that before charging you $400 for doing next to nothing.

As far as needing a new fan motor.... it is possible but we can't diagnose that from here.

Old 06-25-14, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm wondering if "change the direction" really means "changed the speed"? If one winding burned out, he may have switched the leads to get it running?

Old 06-25-14, 06:28 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys.
Sorry for confused you, but English is not my native language.
When the tech comes, looked at unit and said, the problem with fan, fan running in opposite direction,then he changed direction, show me the price list "Wiring-385 $", and here is no way, I have to pay it.
Also he said, I am not sure how long the motor will be working, you have to replace it.
Right now the unit can be start , and sometimes not.Today i want to check the capacitor if it bad I will replace them. What can be wrong with fan motor?
If I upload picture with wiring it is can help to fix my problem(maybe something wrong with wiring)?