Lever on the Flue

Old 06-24-14, 09:30 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lever on the Flue

I have a Tempstar furnace and AC unit. I live in a 2 story condominium. I have been told that the lever on the flue has to go one direction for the winter and another direction for the summer. Does anyone know which direction it needs to go? When I have asked other homeowners, they are as frustrated as I am on how it is supposed to be set for each season. I live in the UT so the winters are pretty cold and the summers are pretty hot. I don't know if the AC isn't working properly but the downstairs is as cool as a cucumber and the upstairs is hotter than heck! I'm open to suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-14, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 824 Votes on 774 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That lever wouldn't be on the flue although it may be on the steel ductwork. It could control a damper that blocks off air to a particular floor or area. There is also usually a bypass lever on the humidifier that should be set to the closed position for the summer.

Without knowing your setup we can't really offer you much help. If you wanted to take a few pictures of the ductwork and that lever and post them here - that may help.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-25-14, 07:10 AM
T
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You can figure out which direction it should be in by feeling the air flow.
You want more air directed toward higher vents, such as in the ceiling or higher up on the wall when in cooling mode.

In heating season, you want the hot air directed towards vents that are lower in the house.

Play with the lever and see what effects it has on air flow/distribution and you should be able to figure out what position is for heating and what position is for cooling.

Old 06-25-14, 10:29 AM
Received 19 Votes on 14 Posts
What tomf63 told you is correct. Assuming the lever you're talking about is a damper in the air duct for the upstairs. Hot air rises, so in the winter (when it's cold), you need to direct more heat to the downstairs, since some of the heat from downstairs will rise and heat the upstairs. In the summer, the upstairs will be hotter (again because heat rises), so you need to direct more cool air to the upstairs vents.

So, assuming you're talking about a damper in the upstairs air duct, you would want to partically close it in the winter and open it fully in the summer. Usually, the lever on the damper is aligned so that the lever is parallel with the damper position. When the lever is "parallel" to the duct it is fully open, when it is perpendicular to the direction of the duct it is fully closed. Somewhere in between is partially open.