Quick question about window A/C

Old 06-27-14, 08:30 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quick question about window A/C

The question is about a casement window unit air conditioner, specifically this model:

Frigidaire 12,000 BTU Window-Mounted Slider / Casement Air Conditioner

It's a 12,000 BTU, 115 volt window unit.

My question is this:

The A/C has 3 fan settings: high, medium and low. Does this mean that the compressor also has 3 settings, or is it only the fan? Since the specifications don't mention the compressor, I assume that the compressor works at the same speed and only the fan can change speed. But this makes no sense to me, because the fan is just blowing air, the cooling is provided by the compressor. What would be the purpose of changing the fan speed if the cooling capacity is determined by the compressor which always runs at a constant speed?

The reason I ask is because I want to lower the current draw of the A/C, and I am wondering if lowering the fan speed would significantly lower that. I assume that if the compressor isn't slowing down then probably not, because the compressor is responsible for the bulk of the current draw and the fan is only some small fraction.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-14, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Ahhh..... but that's where you are wrong. The fan motor is actually double ended. It has one blower wheel that moves the indoor air and a second blower wheel or fan that cools the outside coil.

The compressor only operates at one speed. In my opinion... even though the A/C fan uses a little bit more power on "high" ..... that is the most efficient way to run it.

Name:  AC.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  39.8 KB

Old 06-27-14, 09:35 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, so if I understand you correctly, the compressor runs at a constant speed and since the compressor draws the bulk of the current, switching the fan to low will not significantly lower the current load of the air conditioner?

Is it possible that this air conditioner might have a 3-speed compressor? I know that there are high end air conditioners with continuously variable speed compressors. This is a cheap $500 unit, but is it possible that while it doesn't have continuously variable speeds, the compressor may have 3 distinct speed settings?

I am not worried about the efficiency, only whether the lowering the fan speed will lower current draw significantly.

Old 06-27-14, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Is it possible that this air conditioner might have a 3-speed compressor?
No. If it did it would be listed under AC Specs in that link you left. It only mentions three fan speeds.

I am not worried about the efficiency, only whether the lowering the fan speed will lower current draw significantly
Lowering the fan speed will not use a lot less power. The money you save in lowering the fan speed will be used up by the compressor running hotter.