Oily film on AC connections

Old 06-27-14, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oily film on AC connections

Folks,
Both the small and large connections on one of my AC compressors has an oily film on them. The other compressor connections are dry. The AC is getting down to the set temperature but I'm not sure if it is taking longer than usual. However....the oil is potentially coming from where?.....the Compressor? or is it part of the Freon gas? I'm going to pull the top cover tomorrow and get a better look at what is going on. A/C's were checked about 2 months ago and given a clean bill of health, so pressures would have been fine then.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-14, 04:44 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
A/C systems use refrigerant oil to lubricate the compressor. The oil mixes with the refrigerant and circulates through the system. Since the connections are oily, it's likely that there is a small leak (leaking both refrigerant and oil). Since it's near the line set connections, it's very possible that it's a leaking schrader valve (the connectors used to attach a pressure gauge).

Old 06-27-14, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Spray some soapy water on your oily connections to see if you get foam or bubbles.

Old 06-27-14, 05:48 PM
Thanks Folks, I'll do the bubble test tomorrow. I much appreciate the responses.

Thanks

Old 06-30-14, 10:18 AM
A/C guy has diagnosed a leak where the larger pipe mates with the hex nut going into the compressor. Has suggested new unit rather than attempt to repair the pipe. Said that brazing brass to copper was a pain and not always successful. Unit is very old.....but....if I can keep it going I would like to. It lost 2 lbs Freon. Oil is coming from the leak. Any thoughts, comments?

Thanks

Old 07-07-14, 09:21 AM
Try and get a 2nd opinion !!

Thanks folks...well situ is...the old compressor is still running. I got a 2nd free opinion from another contractor. He diagnosed a slow running fan motor that he said could cause the Freon to go up in pressure and then be forced out of the valves if they were not tight and deposit oil on the pipes. His Freon detector registered a small leak that was sealed when he tightened the valve caps. So we have a new motor. I had hit the oily cap area with engine degreaser and cleaned everywhere up before any either of the contractors had paid a visit. The first one, our contractor for 10 years said "there's oil everywhere, you need a new compressor". The second opinion contractor said he couldn't see any oil leaking but was concerned about the time the motor took to come up to speed. Anyway, she's running fine at the moment, hex cap areas are dry and residue free, no residue patches on the concrete under the pipes, so time will tell. Compressor is 22 years old so has given excellent service....it's a Tempstar.
Thanks for your help.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...#ixzz36nfjgSmC