AC Not Cooling Enough - Outside Unit Shuts off But Indoor Keeps Running

Old 06-30-14, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC Not Cooling Enough - Outside Unit Shuts off But Indoor Keeps Running

Hi guys!
I've read a bunch of stuff on posts in here, but not 100% sure what is causing this issue.

It actually goes back to LAST summer...but I was only home 3-4 days a month and never bothered to look into things. I'm home now and need some cooling!

I have a Goodman unit, about 9 years old and live in a tiny town house.

If I turn the AC on and turn down the thermostat, the outdoor unit kicks in, and the indoor fan starts blowing. I get "coolish" air but not cold. Previously it would take about 2-3 minutes to get my place "cold" as it is small, now it just doesn't happen.

Issues:
I just noticed today when I turned things on to check what is happening that when turning on, the outdoor unit sometimes "clicks" 2 or 3 times, before starting. So some kind of connection issue perhaps?

The outdoor unit will turn off after a couple of minutes (and NOT reaching the desired thermostat temperature). Meanwhile the indoor vents keep blowing forever, with air getting warmer and warmer of course.

The outdoor unit does kick back in after a few minutes, then shuts off again quickly. Sometimes after a minute or 30 seconds or a few minutes...it varies.

Solutions?
Ha....so ya, I need some advice. After listening to things today, it seems that "click click" to get the AC unit running may be the culprit? What would that be exactly and how can I check it?

Thanks All.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-14, 11:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your compressor is short cycling on low pressure.
You're going to need to get the refrigerant charge checked.

Old 07-01-14, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome and quick reply PJmax.
I will get on that...could be a quick fix by the sounds of it....let's hope so!

Old 07-01-14, 05:35 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
If PJmax is correct (and he probably is), it may not be that quick of a fix, and it could be rather expensive. If it's low on refrigerant, it means that you have a leak somewhere. Although refrigerant could be added without finding the source of the leak, it's not recommended, and illegal in the US (I see you're in Canada, I don't know what your regulations are). If the leak isn't repaired, the refrigerant will leak out again (no way of telling how long it will take). You'll likely have to get an A/C technician to come out and find the leak (unless you find it yourself) and repair the leak. Depending where the leak is, the refrigerant may need to be reclaimed (pumped out), the leak repaired, the system evacuated (use vacuum pump to remove air in the system), and the refrigerant put back into the system. This requires specialized equipment and knowledge.

Old 07-01-14, 08:35 AM
ever wash out the condenser from the inside out....next time the condenser starts grab the raw copper line coming out of the condenser if it is hot right before it shuts off..... might have a dirty condenser.shut the disconnect off and the stat remove the top and go in with a nozzled hose but don't blast it...might bend the fins...get back on that liquid line heat if you catch a cycle.thee is a light cleaner you can spray on with a dry condenser and let it foam out...local Grainger has it... Actibrite Halltherm - PRO-BRITE COIL CLEANER 3.8L

Old 07-01-14, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the extra insights bob and sminker!
I'll take a look at things. A tree has been growing nearby the last year or so that has branches overhead the condenser...so a chance that lots of debris and dirt may be in there. I'll do the copper line test and see.