Clueless homeowner - help me talk to the HVAC people (ac blower problem)

Old 07-04-14, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clueless homeowner - help me talk to the HVAC people (ac blower problem)

So like the thread says, I don't know much about AC but like most things, when they break, that's when we learn about them.

Short version:
Beginning of summer, the compressor would not come on but the blower did. HVAC Co came out and checked the contactor (I think that's what it was), replaced it and voila.

Maybe a month later the opposite happened, the blower (which is in the attic) would not blow but the compressor outside was spinning. Tech came out and said everything tested fine but the connections in the thermostat were loose so he tightened them and left and it was working.

A week later the blower stopped again so we replaced the thermostat. It lasted 6 days before the blower stopped again. Tech came out and said the capacitor failed 3 out of 10 times he tested it so we replaced it. He said the motor tested fine.

Today is July 4th and I'm not even sure I can get the tech on the phone without being charged for "emergency service."

What else can it be? It fires up when he jumps the thermostat (and how can it be 2 bad thermostats, different brands from different stores?)

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-14, 06:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Do you have a volt meter?
What is the make and model of the indoor unit?

Old 07-04-14, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do have a volt meter (although I don't really know how to use it).

not sure of the model (it's in the attic - I can probably get up there later today). I know the condenser is an Armstrong and just under 10 years old.

Old 07-04-14, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
If the cap has already been correctly replaced we are dropping the 24 volt AC signal to the indoor unit, or the board is getting the signal but not sending high voltage to the stat or the motor is getting the correct voltage but does start.

Measure for 24 volts between G and C at the indoor unit low voltage connections.
If you have 24 volts the measure for line voltage to the motor on the cooling terminals on the control board.

You want 240 volts for electric heat and 120 volts for gas heat to the motor when a demand is present.

This should be tested when it acts up and an attic may not be the best place to measure for high voltage your first time. Be Careful.

If you decide to perform these tests you can post some pics first and we can help you determine the correct locations to test. Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing