Sizing mini-split

Old 07-04-14, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sizing mini-split

I am looking to install a split ac in my kitchen to replace a thru wall unit.
the current unit is a 10 year old 12,000 btu Panasonic. the current unit has trouble keeping the room cool, I am not sure if this is due to its size or its age and condition. There has been significant changes to the room since it was purchased. I am on the south shore of long island. The room is 276 sq. ft. with 35 ft. of exterior wall 23 ft. facing west 12 facing north. there is about 40 sq. ft. of Pella double glazed wood and vinyl windows and 6' x 4' Pella French wood door. there is also a 7 sq. ft. Anderson skylight facing south. the ceiling are vaulted 7' ft. to 11' Ft. the ceiling has a minimum R-30 the walls are 2x4 r-13 with 3/4" foam under vinyl siding. I received 3 estimates of 9,000 15,000 and 18,000 btu's. I will most likely self install with help of a friend with ac/refrigerator experience. Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-14, 04:31 PM
I should point out that my friend is licensed to work with Freon although his experience with this type of system is limited.

Old 07-06-14, 05:46 AM
Can anyone recommend a good heat gain calculator for a single room all the ones I found were for whole house.