a/c blower stopped working

Old 07-06-14, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question a/c blower stopped working

It was installed 4 yrs ago. Payne model # PY3GNAA30060NA I checked all the fuses. service pull . interior fuses all ok LED is steady red so nothing wrong with the circuit board. checked all the low voltage wire connections. removed the low voltage to the unit to bypass the thermostat and when I did that,, if( white = heater }and red= hot lead and yellow = cooler then that leaves green for the blower? and when I connected the green the red to jump it all I got was a relay clicking and it was the relay switch just above blower for the furnace ... this was sorta odd to me because that relay has a vent tube that goes into the furnace side of the unit.. was that not part of the a/c blower or is the a/c blower wired into the yellow harness that runs the compressor-cooler?? ask me about the rest of the house I could tell you but im not an a/c guy but my kids are roasting 105 here in cali today and gonna be 109 tomorrow!! HELP PLEASE! PS the blower fan motor is not seized. I was able to turn the blades with no problem

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-14, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/100...SS-PY3G-01.pdf

Looks like that unit has an ECM X13 blower motor.

I'd verify high voltage is always present to the motor and that 24 volts is supplied to the cooling terminal when a cooling demand is present.

Those are expensive motors and the boards are not cheap either. Hopefully the low voltage wire has come off of the board.

Old 07-06-14, 06:12 PM
a/c blower stopped working

Thanks Houston. I checked all the wires to the panel and nothing was loose or disconnected . how do you check for what you mentioned? 24 volt meaning the wires coming from the thermo? and cont high from ? the panel blower wire cont high? not sure which color is the high to the blower?? looked like the green and white but im not sure.. about 6 or 7 wires going to the harness plug at the blower.. a little knowledge is a bad thing as they say!! im not completely unable but this is a little complex.. and thank you for the link!!

Old 07-06-14, 06:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...psb8a916e1.jpg

With a fan demand present, measure for 24 volts between Low (highlighted green) and Com (highlighted brown) on the board in this diagram.

I would back the spade connector from the board without removing it to measure.

Name:  Payne PY3 diagram.jpg
Views: 4689
Size:  52.4 KB

Old 07-06-14, 08:45 PM
a/c motor stopped working

Thanks Houston!! I will try it tomorrow. thanks for the color coded diagram!

Old 07-07-14, 02:16 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
If you have 24VAC where Houston told you to check, it's very likely that the blower motor itself is bad. The ECM motors have a control module bolted to the back of the motor. More often than not, the control module is what fails. Further, there is one part (a thermistor) that frequently fails. I have a York furnace with an ECM motor and my thermistor failed in the dead of winter. Fortunately, my furnace was still under warranty, so all it cost me was the service call. However, if you feel comfortable with a soldering iron and want to possibly be able to repair your motor rather than replacing it ($1000+), check out the thread below. There is no guarantee that you'll be able to repair your motor (assuming that's the problem), but it may be worth checking it. BTW, there are testers for checking whether the control module is bad.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ble-motor.html

Old 07-07-14, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To my knowledge the ecm x13 requires replacement of the entire motor since a separate module is not available.

The ecm 2.3 has a replacement module available but this is no help with this unit.

It is possible that this has changed since my last course.

Old 07-07-14, 05:14 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Houston, sorry I missed the X13 part. I just saw ECM. You're correct, they are different.