Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

AC blowing warm air, outside fan not working, capacitor buzzing or humming. Help

AC blowing warm air, outside fan not working, capacitor buzzing or humming. Help

Old 07-06-14, 05:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Good evening,

My AC is blowing warm air. I checked outside the house and the Fan/Compressor is not working. I tried to move the blades and nothing happens. Opened to check the capacitor and it emits a gentle buzzing sound while the whole system asks for cool air. Once I turn off the system, the sound goes off.

What should I do?

Thank you

Old 07-06-14, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What buzzes ? Capacitors don't buzz. You have the compressor, the condensor fan or the contactor.

Do you know where the contactor is ?
You'll need to see if the contactor is closing on demand for cold. You need to be careful as it controls 240vac.

Read thru other threads here.... this question is asked every day.

Old 07-06-14, 05:38 PM
T
Hi PJ,

Thanks for your reply.

Probably it is the contactor buzzing. It's near the capacitor. A black piece with 4 cables connected (correct me if I'm wrong). When the whole system is off, there's no sound at all. When the system is on, there's the buzz but the fan won't not start.

Old 07-06-14, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It sounds like the contactor is working and you need to check the circuit breaker in your panel that runs that unit. You can also check for fuses in the disconnect that is mounted near the unit. Most disconnects are not fused. If you have a meter you can check for 240vac in your disconnect.

Old 07-06-14, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Old 07-06-14, 06:03 PM
T
Yes, the breaker was down probably due to a thunderstorm today. I did not check it because the blower was working. Anyway, thanks for your help man!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: