Outside fan on AC Unit randomly stops working - Runs fine after rest period

Old 07-07-14, 06:08 AM
Outside fan on AC Unit randomly stops working - Runs fine after rest period

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me resolve my AC issue. Here's the problem.

The outside fan on my AC unit randomly stops working, however, everything inside my house (the thermostat and air blower) seem to be working properly. When the outside fan stops spinning, the air blower inside blows room temperature air, not hot or cold. If I turn the thermostat off for an hour or so then turn it back on, the outside fan runs normally and the temperature in my house comes down to the setting on my thermostat and will maintain for about a 24 hour period until the outside fan stops working again.

It has been doing this for about a 2 week period now. The outside fan makes no crazy noises. I was just hoping the issue would just go away, but it appears it's not going to. Can anyone give me some troubleshooting tips before I have to call an expert?

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-14, 08:48 AM
The fan motor is probably shot and needs to be fixed before you ruin your system. Universal fan motors and capacitors are relatively cheap and easily replaced.

Old 07-07-14, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll have my husband look into that. Someone else said it may be a bad relay switch. I don't even know what that is, but he's going to look into that as well.

Old 07-07-14, 03:31 PM
Something else to check, when the fan stops running, see if the compressor stops as well. If the compressor stays running, then I would say fan motor issue. If the compressor stops as well, then yes, may be something else.