HVAC Blower Not Working

Old 07-11-14, 02:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HVAC Blower Not Working

I have a Trane TUE120A960H1 that is probably about 18 years old. The blower motor first started being really loud when running and had low air flow and after about a week, would not come run at all. There was a buzzing sound and I could prod the hamster wheel by hand to get it started but it was still loud and not spinning well. Based on the history below, I thought it best to replace the motor and cap with a new one. Low and behold, when I put in the new one, it did the exact same thing. It will hum but not start and if I prod it by hand, it will run but slowly and loudly. Sounds exactly like the old one. I can't find anywhere that it might be rubbing the housing and it spins relatively well by hand (although the old one spun easier). I am now at a loss (or I guess I always was). Anyone have any idea what else could cause such and issue?

History: I moved into the house early last year. At one point, not long after moving in, I noticed that the system was really loud and upon investigating found that the motor was loose from the housing and rubbing against it. I put one screw back in but apparently they were all bad. I also had what seemed to be low airflow and the evaporator was freezing up. When the noise soon returned, I replaced the motor mount completely which seemed to be fine through the winter although I still had low airflow and freezing up. A couple of months ago, I noticed that it was loud again but a different loud. It still seemed to be mounted properly with plenty of clearance. That is where I am today.

Old 07-11-14, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,895 Upvotes on 3,492 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You are going to have to trace the motor wiring and check for 120vac where it connects to the board.

Old 07-13-14, 11:23 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fixed it (at least part of it). When I bought the new motor and cap, the store didn't have the correct size cap so the salesman gave me 2 caps that added up to the total and he wired them together. Unfortunately, he wired them in series which doesn't work. I added another wire to make them parallel and the motor started right up. I think the fan wheel is a little out of balance because it vibrates and is still a little noisy but nothing is touching. Is there a way to balance the wheel or does it need replacing? I can't find anything on it that looks off but it does seem to have some balancing weight on it on a couple of blades.

Old 07-13-14, 11:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,895 Upvotes on 3,492 Posts
Rebalancing a blower wheel is a hit or miss thing. Not always an easy project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: