portable a/c draining only when turned off, help

Old 07-15-14, 05:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
portable a/c draining only when turned off, help

I bought my 11,000 btu LG portable a/c last summer and this year it's leaking all over. It's a single vent hose which vents out of my casement window and single drainage pipe setup. The unit is elevated and tilted slightly and drains into a 5 gallon jug. Never had any of these problems last year and didn't have any problems when i first set it up this year but now the unit produces alot of water. The flap where cool air comes out is dripping water almost immediately after its turned on, it sounds like a little waterfall or trickling sound in the front of the unit, and even around the filter in the back seems constantly moist causing muck on the mesh filter. On top of that very little water seems to be draining while the unit is on but when I turn it off I hear a flood of water falling through the unit. Some drains from the drain pipe but it's too much at once so it leaks from the entire bottom edge. Why would it hold water like this in the upper part and suddenly drain when turned off? Clog? Some type of suction? Please someone know how to fix this, I can't live without my a/c lol.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
Welocme to the forums.

Some type of suction?
Yes..... usually caused by a dirty filter.

Old 07-15-14, 11:32 AM
While the fan is running the suction created by it is actually strong enough to prevent water from draining. In most cases a pea trap is installed on the drain line to allow it to drain while the fan is running. Search google for a picture of a pea trap. Its basically a drain line with a slightly u shape to it

Old 07-15-14, 12:46 PM
I'll reclean the filter and look into a p-trap but I just checked the filter yesterday and it was pretty clean to be honest. Ender I'm kinda a noob when it comes to repairs etc, how does a p-trap improve condensate draining? I've seen it mentioned on other forums but never understood how it improved flow. Thanks guys.

Old 07-15-14, 05:08 PM
PICS ARE GROSS - SORRY FOR THE LONG POST

I checked the filter again and the filter was again relatively clean. I decided to finally take the A/C apart ( hadn't previously because I didn't want to void any warranty I may have had left).

Where the filter slides in, theres a metal grate type thing sitting down inside behind the slated plastic outer covering. No clue what its called but that's one piece that was covered in the pink goop in the pictures I attached. The picture where there's fuzz (dust blanket), I believe condensate either drains down it or through the center area? Again no clue but one side is spotless while the other was gross. The last picture is one portion of the bottom of the casing with several ounces of water and dust.

My outer filter, the one the manual said to clean regularly by rinsing and drying thoroughly, never ever looked like anything inside the unit. Its almost as if the dust completely avoided the filter I clean regularly -_-. Could there be a problem or reason why there's so much building up? It's an LG LP1111WXR 11k btu a/c and its still 2 weeks shy of a year old.

Attached Images    
Old 07-15-14, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
That first picture looks like the evaporator coil. That's the finned coil right behind the filter. It's also the coil that is cold. Am I correct ?

Assuming I am..... that is pretty well plugged off.
You're going to need to pick up a can of no-rinse evaporator coil cleaner to clean it.

Old 07-15-14, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Off topic of your problem but when you bought did you know one tube are less efficient then two tube. Cool less efficiently because they blow cooled air outside to cool the condenser. That in turn causes hot outside air to be drawn into the room being cooled.

Old 07-15-14, 06:56 PM
@PJmax In my 3 hour adventure through nasty land....I did manage to reduce the gunk, dust, extra water so it looks alot better now. I think I'll still grab a can of that and look into the p-trap because 3 hours of degunking and it still holds water until after turned off. The bottom is re-flooded now -_-.

@ray2047 To be honest I know nothing about heating and air conditioning and when I bought it I didn't even know there were dual vent or dual drain line setups. I kinda bought the unit out of desperation last year...we have very old casement windows and poor insulation (built in the 20's, windows probably from the 50's or 60's), the landlord doesn't plan on changing any windows, and as a result the house is like an oven. So sadly no I had no clue

Btw thanks everyone for the tips and help ^_^

Attached Images  
Old 07-20-14, 12:48 AM
I talked to someone today about the problem I was having and he suggested I try a makeshift p-trap with the existing tubing I already have. I tried it and made sure it had water in the U section to reduce air flow into the drainage tank but its still doing it. As soon as I hit the power button to turn it off, its like turning gravity back on inside the unit and you can hear the water sort of free falling through it. Its falling from up near the blower area or slightly below to the bottom of the unit.

It's an LG LP1111WXR, anyone ever heard of anything like this? The filters are clean and I removed all the dust inside the unit on coils and what not. Water can flow through the drain area but it just sits somewhere in the upper region around the blower.

Old 07-20-14, 08:17 AM
Can you take more pictures of the water area and post them here ?

Old 07-21-14, 02:29 PM
clocert not sure if you meant the drain but linking a picture of it (this pic was before I cleaned it, haven't had a minute to reopen it). The drain itself is tiny, I can just push the end of my pinky into the outer drain area. The opening that leads to the drainage tank is even smaller, I can stick a small screw driver or wire hanger in it. The drainage tank itself is not visible.

Attached Images  
Old 07-21-14, 02:44 PM
I used to have a small AC with a small drain hole, and it had the same problem as yours. What I did was drill a big hole ( in fact I knocked out a 2x2 piece metal at the bottom) that solved the problem. With a hole that big, it does not matter what type of pressure you have, the water will go out.

Old 07-21-14, 07:13 PM
I was surprised that I couldn't google this problem, but its good to know someone else has experienced it. Sometime this week I'm gonna take it apart, reclean if necessary, and I'll try cutting a hole. ^_^ Thanx for the advice.

Old 07-24-14, 08:30 AM
Just got done reopening my problem A/C and so far no free falling water or gurgling sounds.

I guess I'll just chalk it up to really poor design on LG's part. The top drain pan drains through a tiny screw hole (free fall method, no tubes) and there wasn't a lot of buildup but any amount was obviously enough to clog a hole that small which it didn't notice the first time. With water flowing through the bottom only when I turned the unit off, the bottom quickly became stagnant and turned to mush making the problem worse because the new flow of water from the top only pushed the bottom mush into every pin hole meant for actual external drainage.

Next time I guess I'll be researching before I buy. Thanx for the help