Condensor Unit Making Odd Noises.

Old 07-20-14, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensor Unit Making Odd Noises.

This seems to be my quarter for appliance problems.

The unit was making bad sounding noises so I called my HVAC company and the tech said it needed a new expansion valve which he replaced for $1000.

Within days the condenser fan began knocking louder and louder, obviously failing. I replaced it and the knock when away.

Within a few (5-8) days it has begun making weird noises again.

I'm going to give links to recordings of these noises.

Link 1 is to the startup sounds (the snap you hear at first is the contactor which is normal.) It buzzes in the beginning (it's done this for a long time but continuously--the rest is new). At about twenty seconds in the buzzing will go away and in this quiet period if you listen carefully you can hear the knocking you will hear more distinctly in Link 2. At about 35 seconds it will change to a different kind of buzzing.

You will probably have to turn your sound up to here them clearly.

Link 2 is to the knocking. Sometimes it's like in Link 1, but other times it's quite loud and I caught one of those times.

It makes some other odd/bad sounds but they happen only once in a while and only at startup so it's hard to catch them. I'd have to stand there for a very long time.

Oh yes, when it shuts off it makes a loud bang -- not the contactor, much louder.

Edited to add:
This is a RUDD system

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-14, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The stopping noise is more of a Kathunk than a bang (I feel sure it's the compressor).

Here it is

Again you'll have to turn up your sound. It's normally louder than this relative to the running noise, but I get what I can. I had to stand there 10 minutes to get this.

Old 07-20-14, 06:07 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna say that compressor is self destructing.