Air handling unit not blowing any air

Old 07-26-14, 08:05 AM
Air handling unit not blowing any air

My house uses two york units for heating and cooling. I noticed last night that one of the air handling units in my attic wasn't blowing any air at all. The outside unit was running but nothing was producing cool air. All I could hear from the attic unit was the initial buildup of pressure before the unit kicks on and then it seemed to sputter? I don't know anything about these units but is the air handling unit supposed to have a filter from the return air duct? Cause mine doesn't. I also noticed a piece of crimpled up paper blocking the inside coils. I will post a picture if this thing will let me. Just trying to see what is wrong with it and if it should have a filter or not. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-14, 08:15 AM
Yes, there should be a filter somewhere in the air return. With a furnace, the air filter is often located in the furnace assembly (near the air handler). The filter minimizes dust build up on the heat exchanger (heating) and evaporator coil (cooling). If the air handler isn't running, don't continue to run the outside (compressor/condenser), as the evaporator coil will freeze up.

If you set your thermostat to continuous fan (fan only), does the air handler (blower) run?

Old 07-26-14, 08:19 AM
You should have a filter in either the return register or inside the air handler. now shot down the outside condenser unit before it incurs damages. get rid of the paper, clean the coil if it is dirty (I assume it is since you do not have a filter) put a new filter in, and then start your AC.

Old 07-26-14, 08:26 AM
The unit has been off since last night. I only turned it on to troubleshoot. I can't ppst a picture from my phone apparently either. If the unit isn't doing anything how would putting a filter in it fix It? Its not blowing any air at all.

Old 07-26-14, 08:36 AM
Name:  20140726_095725-1.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  25.9 KB maybe this will work

Old 07-26-14, 08:39 AM
That is the jammed up piece of paper amd where I believe the absent air filter should be.

Old 07-26-14, 09:22 AM
So your blower fan does not work, that's a different issue. If you are a DIY person, someone here can guide you to work on the fan problem, if not, you should call a tech to check it out. That paper area is not for filter, the filter should be outside and before that triangle area.

Old 07-26-14, 09:46 AM
Does your air handler have a circuit board with one or more LED status lights? If so, are the status LED(s) indicating a problem, and if so, what is the description of the problem (how to "read" status LEDs should be in your owner's manual)? If you have a voltmeter, with the thermostat calling for the fan to be on (continuous fan), check the voltage between the G terminal (where thermostat wires connect to air handler) and ground (metal frame of air handler). You should measure ~24VAC. If you measure ~24VAC, then something is wrong either with the control board or the blower motor system (motor or capacitor if unit has a capacitor).

Old 07-28-14, 04:31 PM
So I had a guy come check It out and he has narrowed it down to either the blower motor or the control board. Gonna have the guy who Installed it come out and fix it since it is still under warranty. Its just alarming to me that this happened in less than a year after the house was built. Is this common for york products?

Old 07-28-14, 06:46 PM
No, they should last much longer, 10+ years is the norm.

Old 07-29-14, 07:23 AM
As clocert stated, it should last much longer. However, if your air handler uses an ECM (Electronically Commutating Motor) motor, it may not last that long. I have a York high efficiency furnace that uses an ECM. After 5 years, the motor died. Actually, it was the control module on the back of the motor that went bad. The motors are made by GE, and apparently it's pretty common for the module to fail after 4-5 years (usually one part that often fails). I have a 10 year warranty from York, so the cost of the motor was covered, but I still had to pay $100+ for a tech to come out and diagnose that the motor was bad. If you have an ECM motor, it's a good thing that it's covered under warranty, because the motor with control module sells for over $1,000.