Is my a/c unit buring out capacitors? (Pictures included)

Old 07-26-14, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is my a/c unit buring out capacitors? (Pictures included)

Hey so we woke up to our A/c not working this morning. we just had the capacitor replaced last summer so this was the first thing i looked at. imgur: the simple image sharer This was the old one. the fan would turn on but it was not cold air. I'm assuming that burned area was the reason it was bad? We have two identical units (one for upstairs one for down) So I moved the working one from the downstairs unit to the broken one and it seems to be working right now however I am nervous because it looks like this: imgur: the simple image sharer. It looks like it's burning (or something?) in the exact same place as the old one was. We have had it on for a good hour and while it's a little bit cooler, it is still only showing as a couple degrees cooler on the temp panel. What do you guys think the deal with this is? Would it be possible for it to always be burning in the exact same place? Is it supposed to look like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-14, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Provide the brand and model number of your units so the pro's can better help you. How old are your units? The capacitor replaced last year. Is that the good capacitor you moved from the 1st to the 2nd floor unit?

Old 07-26-14, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Stick to a GE brand capacitor. Some of the "made in china" ones are useless. In your second picture....I don't see a visual problem or burning.

Name:  cap.jpg
Views: 5785
Size:  37.9 KB

Old 07-26-14, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey Both units are the exact same: Lennox M/n 10ACC-024-230-02. House was built in 2005 and I moved in in 2010 so i'm assuming they were the original capacitors. The GE one is the one that was in the downstairs unit that has never broken on us. The generic looking one is the one that was replaced last year by a pro in the upstairs unit. I Moved the GE one from the downstairs unit to the broken upstairs unit. It def feels cooler up here but its still only down to 84 from 86 after about 2 hours and it's set to 79. The thing was was worried about in the GE picture was that white spot. it seems like the exact same spot that the burned out spot was on the china capacitor.

Old 07-27-14, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
That white spot on top could be an issue if it's not a water drip.