HVAC will not turn off when inside temp is reached

Old 07-27-14, 09:42 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HVAC will not turn off when inside temp is reached

Three weeks ago, after a power surge, the outside HVAC did not shut off, even tho the inside one did. it was close to midnight, and no option left to us, but to turn the thermostat setting to Fan to keep air flowing through.

We have to shut the outside unit off by flipping the breaker for it. After contacting a repair place in town, and describing what it was doing/not doing, the fellow said it was the capacitor and we made an appt for him to come July 3rd to replace it. Quote 120 for the service call and 80 for the part. He called late that afternoon, running really late and no one was going to be home. Rescheduled for the 5th and he never did call or show up. It was suggested he had told us what the problem was and figured we would fix it.

We ordered the part (2nd time was a charm, as he ordered the wrong one, the first time) on Amazon, and replaced it, and while it made the unit outside no longer sound as horrible, it did not fix the problem and it still will not shut off.

Apparently it may be a Contactor???
My question is, how and where the heck do I find the correct replacement?

This is a single wide tuna can, in the desert. Running it 24/7 currently is all we can do, as it is too hot even at night to go without.

This is all I have as info on it.. http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/..._105223613.jpg

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/information.

Old 07-27-14, 10:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I'd open the panel to see if it is a single pole or a double pole contactor.

Old 07-28-14, 03:32 PM
P
all Greek to me, lol... Bit this, I hope, is it, took a pic, OMG it is hot out.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/..._151536441.jpg

Old 07-28-14, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,601 Votes on 1,475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That would be a single pole contactor. It's a 30A single pole A/C contactor with 24vac coil. Where do you want to get it ? Do you want like an Amazon link or are you going to get it locally.

Name:  IMG_20140728_151536441.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  25.2 KB

Old 07-28-14, 04:07 PM
P
Thank you, ever so You all may get annoyed with me, soon enough, as I always have something to fret over!

I am unsure where to even get one... locally. I am content to order from Amazon, because... I pretty much order what I can from there, to avoid getting in a 27 year old vehicle with no AC in it, in Hades

Old 07-28-14, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Old 07-28-14, 04:21 PM
P
Oh thank you!!! You do know I will be asking when the time comes, how the heck to do it, right?

Old 07-28-14, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
No problem.... we'll be here.

Old 08-06-14, 01:02 PM
P
I am backkkk lol. Okay, I think I took a decent picture of this thing.

And I see I have it *upside down* in said pic, whoops.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC00600.jpg

So now that it is here... I really need some HELP lol

Old 08-06-14, 03:34 PM
S
The best way to do this is leave the old contactor in place. Flip the new contactor over so T1 and T2 are on the left. Remove one wire at a time and connect to new contactor.

Old 08-06-14, 03:53 PM
P
Um... T1, T2? *tilts blonde head to one side" Then once each wire is on, take the old one off, etc?

Old 08-06-14, 04:49 PM
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
Correct. Once you've moved all the wires from the old contactor to the new one, unbolt the old one and bolt the new one on.

Old 08-22-14, 01:47 PM
P
Additional Assistance Please!

So he has yet to replace the darn thing.. and for that reason I have to as is there a way for me to find a MOTOR replacement on Amazon, or where ever.. not sure what to search for.

It froze over around 3am and I had to go out and flip the breaker off. If I had not woke up because I did not feel cold air on me (I sleep with a real strong fan blowing on me, yay The Change...) and shut it off... I know we would have burned the motor out. It freezes at least once a week. I figure I better get a jump on this, because he is the King of Procrastination.

Old 08-22-14, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
What motor are you looking for ?

Old 08-22-14, 08:21 PM
P
I can honestly say I have no idea, lol. I was just told that if the outside unit was unable to get the air through the frozen pipe, that in a certain period of time the motor would blow out. This concerns me, that there is more than one?

Old 08-23-14, 05:39 AM
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
There are 2 fan motors used in a typical A/C system. One is in the air handler and is often referred to as a blower. It is the fan that sends air (heated or cooled) through the air ducts into the house. It's pretty easy to tell if it is running. If you don't feel any air coming out of the ducts, then it's likely not running.

The second fan is the condenser fan and is a fan that sits at the top of the compressor/condenser (outside) unit. The condenser fan pulls outside air in through the condenser coil and expels the hot air out the top of the outside unit. It's easy to tell if it's running, just go outside and see if the fan on top of the outside unit is running.

Since you're having a problem with the evaporator coil freezing, I'm assuming that it's the blower (air handler fan) that's the problem. It also could be due to the system being low on refrigerant.

To tell if it's the blower motor, switch the fan switch on your thermostat from Auto to ON. The blower should turn on and you should feel air coming out of the ducts. If the blower works, but the system freezes up after the A/C has been on for a while, then it's likely that you're low on refrigerant. However, make sure that the filter is clean (replace it if not relatively new), to rule out a dirty filter as the cause of the problem (low airflow).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: