Window AC Units and Outdoor Air/Allergies Question

Old 07-28-14, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window AC Units and Outdoor Air/Allergies Question

I was thinking of getting a window AC unit for the remaining summer months, but I'm fuzzy on my chances of somehow getting outdoor air circulating through the unit and getting deposited into my home. I realize units typically "recycle" room air, but a lot of them also have a fan mode or outdoor-air damper. While I wouldn't use these features, do they make it possible for some outside air to get into the unit and then into the home?

The reason I'm preoccupied with this is because my neighbor has a lot of flowers/landscaping very close to my window and I have substantial pollen allergies. I would prefer no allergy triggers get into the unit and somehow find their way into the house. Any advice/info appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-14, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't know of any window A/C's that will bring in outside air. Some have a vent that you can open that will discharge air outside. On the models with the discharge vent you can open.... when the A/C is not running.... some outside air can get in.

The majority of window A/C's no longer have the vent feature. When you shop.... don't even bother considering it for the little bit of good it could possibly do.

Old 07-28-14, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Air intake if present should not be used except in fan only mode. It decreases the ability of the A/C to cool by using hot outside air instead of chilled inside air. Look for a unit that does not have an air intake. It seems like most don't now days or at least the ones I've seen.