New compressor noisy start after evaporator replacement

Old 07-29-14, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New compressor noisy start after evaporator replacement

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. It seems like a great resource, and I have a question to start off with:
Last year, we had our compressor replaced in our new house under our home warranty. I believe it is a 3 ton Amana system with a scroll type compressor. The AC techs had to come out numerous times because our compressor kept overheating and shutting down and they couldn't figure out why. Well that didn't solve the problem as we found out this summer. They would have discovered what the issue was if any of them had taken the time to open the evaporator cabinet and seen the txv frozen up, but I guess since the cabinet was sealed up pretty well, laziness got the better of them.
So this summer I figured out that the txv was sticking and that was the root of the problem. Giving it a "tap" with a tool only resolved it for a few minutes if I caught it before it iced up too badly. We decided to just have the entire evaporator assembly replaced instead of just the TXV, as it is about 25 years old, and this is central Texas, where it gets a lot of use. The AC system works fine now, with one exception:
When the compressor starts, it groans quite loudly for a few seconds, and the lights dim. It sounds like it's really struggling. After it starts, there is no abnormal noise. This didn't happen before the evaporator/txv replacement. I did some research and learned that there are bleed and non-bleed txv's, and thought that if we had a bleed type before, and they replaced it with a non-bleed, that could be the issue, but when I called the company that installed it, they said they only use bleed type txvs (I'm not 100% convinced by their claim however). They came out and looked at the system and didn't have any solutions or explanations to offer.
I though I would install a hard start kit, or start assist kit in hopes that it would help the compressor get started more smoothly, but I would really appreciate some input from people with more experience. I'm also not sure where to start in terms of shopping for a hard start kit.
Thanks in advance for any advice. I'll be sure to update with any progress as I figure this out.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-14, 01:30 PM
Running frozen probably hurt it bad. But thats kinda your fault. Please dont get mad. Just when ur ac wasnt working u shoulda turned it off. Hard start will help

Old 07-29-14, 01:50 PM
I really didn't run the new compressor when it started having issues. I shut it down as soon as it started acting up, which was only after it started getting really hot, and needing to run for more than a few minutes at a time (it took 30 - 40 minutes to start icing up, so it was fine through spring).
I did have to turn it on to find the problem, but even then, it had absolutely no difficulty starting until the ac tech replaced the evaporator and txv. As soon as they did, it started making a racket on start up. They came back out and found nothing.