Upstairs AC Unit Working, but No Upstairs Airflow Whatsoever

Old 07-30-14, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upstairs AC Unit Working, but No Upstairs Airflow Whatsoever

Hello, we have what looks like a Payne outdoor AC unit. Serial number is 3908X66199.

When upstairs thermostat is turned on the unit outside engages, but no air is sent into the house. What appears to be the main coil developed frost when the unit was turned on, but other than that nothing is out of the ordinary.

I don't know much about these things, and absolutely have no money to get this taken care of (mother on disability, taking care of her, both of us trying to just pay the bills) so any advice/ how to would be immensely appreciated.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-14, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is the blower motor on the air handler (inside unit) running or not? If the blower isn't running, you could have a motor or control panel issue. Can you get the information from the air handler and post it so we may assist you better.

If the blower is running, but no air is coming through it's possible the coil is frozen up. This could be caused by a low air flow condition (dirty filter or blocked vents) or a low refrigerant charge.

Old 07-30-14, 11:29 AM
I attached some photos. I turned on the ac and both the blower and the exterior unit came on for about 3 minutes, blowing cold air upstairs, and then both shut off despite the thermostat still being on.

Attached Images   
Old 07-30-14, 11:39 AM
First thing is to eliminate the stat as the problem. Turn the power off to the furnace. Remove stat to expose the wires. Remove the R wire, the Y wire and G wire and twist them together or use a wire nut. Restore power, if the system runs , the stat is the problem. If it does the same thing, the board might be bad.

Old 07-30-14, 11:46 AM
Few more photos. Also I'm sorry, I don't know why they posted upside down.

Attached Images   
Old 07-30-14, 11:50 AM
Eliminate power to the furnace by turning the switch off by it, or is that a circuit breaker thing?

Old 07-30-14, 11:55 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
If there is a switch on/near the furnace, it probably controls the power for the furnace. However, you should either confirm by measuring voltages (make sure there's no voltage in furnace control board with switch off), or turning off the circuit breaker that controls the furnace power (assuming it's marked).

Old 07-31-14, 04:50 AM
It's not the thermostat. Ran the tests and same issue. Any other ideas on how I can check it/ fix it?

Old 07-31-14, 05:14 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Do you have a multimeter (volt/ohm meter)? If so, check for AC volts from the Y & G thermostat terminals to the chassis (common). You'll probably have to check this where the thermostat wires connect to the furnace so you can access the common (furnace chassis). You should measure ~24VAC. I'm guessing that you'll initially see the voltage (when A/C turns on) since you said it came on but then turned off after 3 minutes. The thing to check is do you still have 24VAC after everything turns off (with the thermostat still calling for cooling).