Whirlpool ACM254XH0 AC starts, makes rattling noise, and stops

Old 08-01-14, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool ACM254XH0 AC starts, makes rattling noise, and stops

Hello all,

I'm new here, and I'm not expecting any miracles, but I could use some input (broke college student). Okay, so I have a window unit AC - Whirlpool ACM254XH0 (it's about five years old for me). Here is a link in case a picture of what it looks like would be helpful: 03-Cabinet parts for Whirlpool ACM254XH0 - AppliancePartsPros.com

So, my air conditioner started making a strange rattling sound, and I knew something was up. A few minutes later, it stopped rattling and started to hum as if it was going to blow up. If I start it again, it chugs and has trouble starting, but then will cool anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes---then it rattles and gradually goes into the humming where it stops. I'm hoping to determine the problem to fix this in a cheaper way since I cannot afford a professional.

I have plans to check the capacitor with a multi-meter to determine if that is the issue, but beyond that, I don't think there is anything else I can check (I have yet to do this because the AC is super heavy and I need help to lift it out). So if it is not the capacitor, I will have to start guessing at parts to buy (bad idea). Does anyone have any input? I was as detailed as possible. Thank-you very much, and have a great day.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-14, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Take it out of the window and open it up. Check that the fan isn't hitting anything.

Old 08-01-14, 01:39 PM
Thank-you, I have already tried this the first time it was taken out, and nothing was hitting the fan. I wish I had known about testing the capacitor before it was put back in. That will be my next step today. I will update the condition once I have tested it. I wonder, if it isn't the capacitor or blockage to the fan, if it could be anything but a fan motor with the symptoms described.

Old 08-01-14, 04:34 PM
I tested the capacitor with a multi-meter (two in fact). It didn't do anything---I believe the needle was supposed to bounce to show it was burned out, but this may have worked too. I think I'm going to order a capacitor, and I will update what happens in case someone else has the same issue in the future.