identifying parts

Old 08-01-14, 06:58 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
identifying parts

I took a picture of my own Trane AC (condensing unit outside).
I know the top two parts are capacitor and contactor.
but what are the two parts at bottom (left) and why do we need them?

Name:  Contactor_Capacitor.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  27.4 KB

Old 08-02-14, 04:41 AM
Received 90 Upvotes on 79 Posts
I can't be sure, however it appears that the black "box" is a relay and the round part at the bottom is a capacitor. My guess is that the two components work together and are a "hard start" kit. A hard start kit helps "kickstart" compressors that have trouble starting up.

Old 08-02-14, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
The metal capacitor is a dual run capacitor. It serves the compressor and fan motor and stays in the circuit the entire time the compressor and fan motor runs.

The black capacitor is the start capacitor and it serves the compressor. It often has a value 2.5 times of the compressor portion of the dual capacitor (herm) or greater.

The small black box above your start cap is your start relay. It takes the start capacitor out of the circuit immediately after startup. The start capacitor would smoke if the start relay (potential relay) failed to take the start capacitor out of the circuit after start up.

Together the start capacitor and the potential relay are your hard start kit.
The start kit greatly lowers the starting amperage and without it some systems will not start.

Old 08-02-14, 02:21 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. If the start-kit fails, can I replace it myself or should I leave it for pro?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: