Goodman AC Unit - Fan not spinning

Old 08-02-14, 09:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman AC Unit - Fan not spinning

So on a day that will heat up to about 104 my AC isn't working. The condenser is a bit loud and the fan isn't spinning. Air is blowing, but it's not cold. called a tech, but I want to know if this is something I can handle or at least I can have some insight to make sure I don't get taken advantage of. HELP!!

Name:  Goodman.jpg
Views: 3226
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 3509
Size:  30.7 KB

Old 08-02-14, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
If the compressor is running but the fan motor isn't it may only be the run cap.
You can turn off the thermostat and try to spin the blade with a stick.
If it spins easily the chances are higher that it is only the small capacitor strapped to your unit with perforated strap.

The fan motor run cap visibly looks good. It could still be the motor.

Capacitors will hold a charge a couple of minutes after removing power.

Old 08-02-14, 11:00 AM
J
I sprayed everything down and the fan moved easily when a garden hose hit it. So I'm thinking it's either the capacitor or the fan motor. Any chance you know what I should pay a technician to replace the fan motor or a capacitor? I can probably do the capcitor on my own, but I don't have access to parts.

Old 08-02-14, 11:14 AM
C
This may sound stupid but check the breaker to the unit. Ask me how dumb I felt after taking the fan off and plugging it into my dryer plug to see if it was working.

Old 08-02-14, 02:42 PM
Received 90 Upvotes on 79 Posts
Jeff, you can purchase a capacitor at a number of places. You can get one from Graingers (if you have one nearby) or Amazon.com. While it's possible the motor is bad, it's more likely it's the capacitor. They are inexpensive (compared to the price of a motor) and easily replace. I would start there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: