Facing a fan towards the thermostat to cool down

Old 08-06-14, 07:13 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Facing a fan towards the thermostat to cool down

We Bought a house with a brand new a/c And thermostat. The thing is some days the a/c never shuts off for hours. Even at night when the sun is gone. My husband placed a fan in front of the thermostat to help the thermostat to cool down and make the a/c stop. The thing is I don't know if that's a good idea. Can that actually throw the thermostat off and instead keep the unit running?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-14, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 928 Votes on 865 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A thermostat isn't affected by a fan like we are.

Is the temperature of the room going lower than what you have the thermostat set for ??

Old 08-06-14, 07:40 PM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts
If you're comfortable or too cold, increase the setting.

If not, get a tech in to see why the a/c isn't cooling properly. (after checking for a plugged filter or outdoor coil)

Old 08-07-14, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Air conditioning when properly sized should operate almost continuously when the temperatures are at their extreme highest in your area......This is perfectly normal.
If it were regularly cycling at these extreme temperatures the unit would be short cycling in more moderate temperatures.

If you are able to get the unit to cycle off by placing a fan in front of the thermostat it will not be off long and you will be creating a short cycling conditioning which will shorten the life of the unit.
You don't say what your comfort level is and if you are happy with what the unit is doing then don't worry, be happy and leave it alone.

One thing you can do is as already suggested is get the unit serviced by a tech you know is competent.

Old 08-07-14, 03:56 AM
P
The temperature is fine, although our bedroom heats up quickly when it turns off. It's weird because the ac running non stop doesn't happen all the time. We had a company come in and they said the a/c is working properly. We are in Florida and the a/c is in the attic. Also all our rooms have a sliding glass door which doesn't help.

Old 08-07-14, 05:34 AM
T
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
If you're comfy, then it's working correctly. Even here in NJ when the temp gets up over 85, my unit will run for hours in the heat of the afternoon sun.

Old 08-07-14, 06:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 928 Votes on 865 Posts
although our bedroom heats up quickly when it turns off
That would indicate a lack of insulation in a room that is probably on the sunny side of the house. Duct work leaks and lacking insulation are also common attic mounted air conditioner problems.

Old 08-07-14, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Like I said.....don't worry, be happy!

Old 08-07-14, 04:34 PM
P
Thank you guys. I guess i was used to living in a small apartment and it cooled down so much faster than the house.