Down flow to Uturn to second story

Old 08-08-14, 07:53 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Down flow to Uturn to second story

Hello, i couldn't find an intro section so I'll do it here! I'm nate, who specializes in nothing except crane operating!

So I'm having the obvious two story problem but here's the underlying build design

1967 home built on a slab, down flow ducting in concrete. At the furnace it splits to the left and Uturns up toward the second story into what appears to be around an 6x12 rectangular ducting and it turns into a 14inch flex hose after about 6 feet and the runs to the attic from there. ( when I say split, it's basically a plenum in concrete with 3 holes for ducting to go into the slab and a hole beside the furnace to run air up and it's connected there) Anyhow, like any home with two stories the cooling is difficult with second story. We have to keep a fan in the stairwell base pointed up for it to be comfortable overnight. Should I get a second unit upstairs or should I try to figure out how to install boosters or baffle the downstairs duct (closing all vents downstairs doesn't help upstairs)

Shortly after we had this unit replaced I noticed there wasn't sufficient flow upstairs as always and revamped the ducting, from leaky old steel pipe to flex duct and it helped alleviate some of the flow issues but it's still not comfortable in the Oklahoman summer.
Not sure what path to take at this point without potentially destroying something.

Old 08-08-14, 11:57 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The problem with adding a second unit is the existing unit was sized for the whole house. It might be a problem to get it work for just the first floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: