Faulty AC control board

Old 08-06-14, 11:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faulty AC control board

My central ac has been shutting down on me lately, so I went up in the attic and took a look at the control board. I clamped the door switch and started removing/replacing wires and the system started back up. AC worked fine for a couple of weeks, then the same thing happened again. I went back up to the control board and this time I just pulled the 3A fuse and put it back in, and the system started back up again, but now it shuts down within about 10 minutes, before reaching the cooling temp on the tstat.

My question is: what is most likely the cause and the solution? I think one of the relays on the control board is faulty...would that require a new control board? Or is it the capacitor that is up there by the control board, in the air handler? Or is it something else? Do I need to get a pro up here to diagnose and fix, or is this something I can repair myself (I'm pretty handy). Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-14, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It could be a defective board.....
Without a make and model or picture we can't really offer you much help.

Old 08-07-14, 10:52 AM
It's a Goodman system. Yeah, I know, but it's given me 13 years of troublefree service, so not surprised it's starting to act up. CName:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  49.8 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  39.1 KBan't tell what model the control board is but I've attached pics.

Unit stopped working again this morning, so just went back up and remove/replaced the 3A fuse and it started back up again. I've also checked the the big capacitor on the outside compressor unit, it looks fine (no bulging top).

Old 08-07-14, 12:18 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
You stated that your central A/C has been shutting down. What is turning off? Is it the air handler (blower) or the compressor or the condenser fan? Do they all turn off, or are one or more things left running (blower, compressor, condenser fan)?

Old 08-07-14, 11:08 PM
It all shuts down, as far as I can tell. I haven't been there to actually confirm the compressor shuts down at the same time as the air handler/condensor, but when I pull and re-insert the 3A fuse they all start back up again. Funny thing is today the system has been working normally and keeping the house cool today (thankfully, as it was a 100 degree day)!
Also read to look for flashing status light codes, took a look at it while the system was running today and it's not flashing.

Old 08-08-14, 02:22 PM
AC stopped again, so I went back up in my infernal attic again to start the system back up. This time I just tapped the big relay on the control board with a screwdriver and the system started back up, so pretty sure the problem lies there. Do I need to replace the whole board or just the relay, and is it a DIY fix? Or could the problem lie elsewhere?

Old 08-08-14, 03:17 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
I agree, it sounds like it might be the relay. The problem is finding a source for the relay. Usually, you can't buy parts such as the relay from the system manufacturer (Goodman in your case). If you can figure out what the specs are on the relay and can find a source for it, and you're handy with a soldering iron, you can probably replace it. It is likely going to be cheaper replacing the relay rather than the entire board, the challenge will be to find the part.

Old 08-08-14, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
Give us a real up close shot of the board so that I can read the relay. I have books and cross references from many companies here.