Air Handler Issues

Old 08-12-14, 05:49 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: united states
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air Handler Issues

Hey guys,

A couple weeks ago, I came home from a trip and my air handler was making a rumbling sound. I thought it was the fan motor, so I pulled the cover off, removed the handler and separated the motor. I pulled the motor apart, inspected and cleaned it and checked resistance across the wires. Everything looked good, including bearings.

I reinstalled the motor, blower, and continued to look, making sure to tighten everything and realign the squirrel cage properly. I (eventually) found that the relay (white-rodgers 90-380) was only making contact between two of the leads, which was causing the rumbling and vibration. I adjusted the arms of the relay to work properly and get us through the night and replaced it the next day. The AC ran great and kept the house ice cold for the next 5 days or so.

This morning at 4a.m. I woke up to a burning smell. I shut down the system, opened the air handler and could smell something burnt inside. I pulled the blower out, motor off, and pulled it back apart again. This time, there were darkened coil patches, some black soot areas on the magnet, and some of the binding rope for the coils was burnt crisp. All the leads seem to test fine, no open and no shorts to the frame. I reassembled the motor and air handler again, double checked my wiring, and tried turning the system on. The fan blows slower than normal and develops the burning smell after a few minutes of running. I'm assuming the faulty relay facilitated failure of my fan motor, but I don't want to throw $180 into a new motor for it to just get burnt up if the relay wasn't the reason. Any advice on how to approach this is appreciated.

Motor pn# B13400353 Goodman Blower Motor 1/2 HP 2 SPD 208/230 Volt
Unit Model# A42-10 Goodman Heat/Air Pump

Update: Seems like it's just overheating now and shutting off after a couple minutes, with that burnt smell.

Last edited by FlaFisher; 08-12-14 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-12-14, 08:34 AM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 955
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
You may have a bad start capacitor. Try changing that first and see if the motor starts up at normal speed. If not, you probably need a new motor along with it's matching capacitor.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: