Condenser on a 2nd story deck?

Old 08-17-14, 01:32 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condenser on a 2nd story deck?

Anyone know if moving pair of AC condensers from the the ground to a second story deck would be an issue (considering rerouting the lines should is arbitrary and will not affect the distance to the main unit)?

Here is the situation...I have a wrap-around covered porch on three sides of the house. It does not extend to the rear of the house (North side) where a pair of condensers sit. That wall is the side of the garage, which has a finished attic opening up to the main house. Since the roof runs East/West, it is a smooth wall with a large second story window.

My thought is is, build a deck along the 2nd story side at the same width as the porch, then replace the window with pair of french doors which open out onto it. We would use the deck as a roof and wrap the porch on around.

As the deck would be more aesthetic than practical it might look better (and be easier) to move the units up instead of out.

As long as enough room is provided around the units for maintenance, are there any issues with going this route? Also, would you put them on a concrete pad or just directly onto the wood? (note: while I would build the deck myself, I would consult with and use a HVAC guy to do the actual move)

Old 08-17-14, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 868 Votes on 799 Posts
I've seen it done all the time in coastal areas to get above storm surges so I can't imagine there is anything wrong with it other than the cost. There's usually nothing easier than just plopping it on the ground so that's what gets done most often.

The concrete pads you see under most units are not even concrete. Many modern ones are foam covered with a thin veneer of cement. They are light enough to pick up and carry around and the pad under my AC condenser is plastic.

Old 08-17-14, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Agree with PD. If cost isn't an issue of course. Could easily be $1500 or more. Much more if you will be doing siding/framing work for the lines.

Old 08-17-14, 10:07 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very kindly for the info.

Never knew that about the pads, always assumed they for for some sort of vibration dampening or something...good to know it is nothing more than a pedestal.

The move should be pretty easy, as the wall is brick (easy to patch, easy to punch through). Figure I'll just rip out the drywall from the interior side to find the lines beforehand and to make the HVAC tech's job easy. As for the rest of the cost...yup. (between childhood memories of my great grandmother's wrap around porch and my wife wanting it...it has to happen)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: