Home A/C Help PLEASE

Old 08-21-14, 11:06 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home A/C Help PLEASE

Hi All,
My a/c went out and I called a local company to take a look. Their tech told me the compressor was out and the cost for repair is $3100 or I can buy a whole new system for $3400. I went and got an a/c hard start kit and the unit started back up and ran like normal for about 15 hours. Currently, the fan runs fine and warm air blows from the vents. Is it really the compressor or what else could be the issue? I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Meagan

Old 08-21-14, 11:21 AM
S
First thing to do is find a different company. Sounds fishy to me. IMO $3100 to replace the compressor is a joke. Do you know if he checked the OMH's on the compressor?

Old 08-21-14, 11:35 AM
M
He did have a multimeter out but I'm not sure if he checked the ohm's. I was worried about being taken for a ride because I am in Texas; it's really hot and he could see that I have 3 small children. Since the unit started with a hard start kit, would it be the compressor? I have the start/run capacitor pulled out and am replacing that next. I really know next to nothing about any of this but have been watching youtube videos to educate myself. I do own a multimeter. I could check the ohm's myself. What would I be looking for?

Old 08-21-14, 12:16 PM
S
Hi Meagan, Let me know what happens with the new capacitor. Then we can go from there.

Old 08-21-14, 12:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Is the unit running fine or do you have warm air from the vents?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: