Mouldy Central AC in Apartment

Old 08-27-14, 11:55 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mouldy Central AC in Apartment

Hello. I just found this board while researching ways of cleaning my AC unit and was hoping to get some tips or answers to my questions.

Story:

Over a year ago, we noticed that the parquet flooring near our ac unit was becoming discoloured.

Upon further personal inspection, it was obvious that a leak from the AC unit was causing the damage. Management was notified and they sent an employee to inspect and repair the leak, and hired contractors to replace the flooring.

Several months afterwards, the flooring began to deform and discolour again. Upon removal of our furniture from the area, there was black mould growing on the wall baseboard and much more severe discolouration of the flooring. After notifying management again, they sent another employee to 'clean' the area and replace the baseboard and flooring. The repairman removed everything, rubbed off the visible mould with a metal scraper, sprayed what he said was a 'mould cleaner' (when in actuality was just a sealant with no mould fighting properties, as I later confirmed on the internet) and replaced the baseboard and flooring.

Now we move on today where the same problem has arisen, with deforming tiles and a discolouring baseboard (both unsurprising), however, now with the added bonus of a musty smelling AC unit that causes us to cough when it is on.

Unsatisfied with management, whom have no intention of spending money on competent contractors, namely, certified inspectors and cleaners of mould, I'm unsure as to what to do next. The building is over 40 years old, and the management and employees are fairly incompetent.

You may see photos of the damage and AC unit in the link below:
http://1drv.ms/1sSianv

Questions:

1) Can anyone identify what the black, porous, material is on the interior sides of the unit? Does this look like mould? What about the white growths on various surfaces?

2) Is there any way to clean or renovate this myself?

3) If not, would calling a government health inspector to potentially force our management to renovate the unit be a good idea?

We're getting tired of dealing with management and their inability to hire the right people.

We'd appreciate any advice.

Old 08-27-14, 01:01 PM
R
You're not alone, most apartment units look like that. Dark and damp equals mold. There's a couple problems i see there. Drain is not properly installed,electrical not properly done. All of those insulation panels are probably damp. No way to stop it now, they should replace the unit, or remove all of those insulation panels, install new ones, clean the coil and pan, treat the pan, clean the ductwork. Where's the filter on that unit?

Old 08-27-14, 02:38 PM
S
Like RD said that drain line should be replaced with a real drain line. Most likely what is happening is the drain line is getting clog up, the drip pan over flows in to the blower compartment and then to the floor.

Old 08-28-14, 08:37 AM
A
It's pretty evident to me now that the drainage tube is improperly installed. Water is trapped at the base, unsurprisingly, but there is no water in the pan, which suggests it is draining somewhat.

As for the 'filter', the employee didn't come to work to hand out filters, so, I had to go down and get one from management without a metal frame to hold it. I then had to rip the old filter off the metal frame that it was attached to and sew the new filter on the frame whereby I 'inserted' the filter into the unit several months ago. Fast forward to today where the same absent employee was sent to my suite to 'clean' and 'fix' our problems whereby he tells us that the filter is improperly installed and also not the correct filter to use, despite the fact that it was installed in the exact same way it always had been for the last 10 years.

He took my jury rigged filter after I was unsatisfied with his work (using a non-hepa filter vacuum beside my uncovered bed, him attempting to convince me it's dust and not mould, etc.) and said he'd speak to a more 'experienced' person he knows about the problem and give us better information/choices. Since then, he's only visited our suite to 'negotiate' things that management are willing to do, which essentially ends up being exactly the same thing he was doing before.

I figured what has to be done is exactly what you posted RDSTEAM. The thing is, I feel it should be the apartment's responsibility to fix it, since, they never actually fixed anything before. And even if I get a health inspector/enforcement agency in here and they force management to renovate it, I don't trust management to hire the right people, again, because they're quite inept at selecting competent people to do the job (this is not the only example).

Anyway, enough venting. It seems like our only option is to get a health inspector in here.

Appreciate the responses.

Old 08-29-14, 10:21 AM
R
You didn't hear it from me, but if that was my place, that unit would've "unfortunately busted" and they would have no choice but to replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: