Outside A/C unit fan not blowing, airflow is very weak coming from vents

Old 08-28-14, 03:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside A/C unit fan not blowing, airflow is very weak coming from vents

Hello,
About 4-5 days ago my A/C got pretty weird. It was set at 73 and it was constantly staying at 80. I didn't think much of it. The next couple days it did the same thing, every day when I came homeit was set at about 10 degrees lower than what the room temperature actually was. So after the third day, I did a little research, here's what I found.

The first day I just looked up why it could be broken, I scrolled through everything and most of it just contained stuff that I didn't really know, mostly going through the settings of the thermostat and all that. I did that and all the settings were normal, so the next day I did more research and it came up with all of the normal problem like Freon, iced coils etc.. I thought that the coils were iced because the air stream was weak upstairs in my room. By the way, probably should have said this before but this problem is only upstairs, in my room. We have two separate A/C units, one for upstairs and one for the main floor and basement. The basement is running perfectly fine, cooling to the set temperature. Back to the point, my air stream is very weak, which is weird, I've never seen that before. The air coming out is cool, it's just weak and I thought that was the issue.

So in the morning, I told my dad what it could be, iced coils, and low Freon. He didn't pay much attention to the Freon suggestion, however he thought that it could possibly be iced coils. I looked up how to fix them, and it said to turn the unit off with the fan on to defrost them, and that didn't work because he left it off for about an hour before turning it back on and it was still 10 degrees over the set temperature.

I decided to try to fix it on my own. I called my dad up and asked where our unit was, and he directed me to it. The first thing I did was touch that copper wire coming from the unit to see if it was the low Freon, if it is cold, it's fine, and if it's warm, it's low. It was perfectly fine. However, before I even did that, I noticed that the fan wasn't even blowing, I wish I could have payed attention to it because I don't know if it was making a buzzing noise or not. The thermostat was on, it was set on cool, fan was on high, everything was normal, odd.

I looked into that, by the way everything in these last two paragraphs occurred today, the iced coils in the morning, and everything else when I got home. So I looked up reasons why the fan could be off, most of them were a broken capacitor, or a contactor. I checked the capacitor using the stick test, but it did nothing, tried pushing the fan in both directions and neither worked. Unfortunately, I have yet to test the contactor, I feel like that may be the problem, but who knows. I'd really like some help on this if you guys could help me that would be incredible. Thank you so much.

Model No: 24ANA736A300

It's a Carrier Puron.

Last edited by joey11768; 08-28-14 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 04:28 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Please post the make and model of the outside unit and the inside unit. If you haven't already done so, you need to shut the power off to the outside unit (condenser).

Old 08-28-14, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,601 Votes on 1,475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I see you started on your career in air conditioning repair.

In your opening title you said outside fan is not running but it is... correct ?
Just the inside blower isn't running.

Like the Dawg mentioned.... good idea to shut off outside unit if inside blower isn't running.
Don't want to give the outside compressor a rough time.

Old 08-28-14, 06:06 PM
J
Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here.

No, my outside A/C unit fan is not running. The air in my room is cold, but its very weak.

Went out just a few minutes ago, I was lone so had to really quickly turn off the system wait a few then turn it back on, and run to the unit. The unit itself made a humming noise for maybe 2 minutes, then it just sat quiet. I messed with the breakers but I didn't see one difference, didn't hear a sound or anything.

Old 08-28-14, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have two units.... an outside condensor that has a fan on top and a compressor inside and an air handler inside, possibly in the attic, that has the cold coil and blower fan ?

Old 08-28-14, 06:26 PM
J
Yes. Well technically I have three but one is for heating so that doesn't count. I have an outside condensory that has a fan on top, and I have an air handler in the basement in my furnace room.

Old 08-28-14, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... you've said the outside fan wasn't running but you heard a humming. That would suggest that the fan motor either needs a new capacitor or the fan motor itself is bad. You could try starting system up and push the fan with a stick to see if the fan starts moving.

You also said you have low airflow in the house. That blower is completely separate from the outside unit. You need to check at the furnace/air handler to see if that fan is running. It's pretty rare for both to fail at the same time.

Old 08-28-14, 07:04 PM
Your system has a flash code function that hopefully will aid in diagnosing the issue you are having. Here is a link to the wiring diagram that shows the flash codes:
http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/100.../24ana7-2w.pdf

Here is a link to the installation guide:
http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/100.../24ana-6si.pdf

Look for amber flashing LEDS on the control board.

Old 08-28-14, 07:18 PM
J
Well, the stick test won't work because I think the entire unit is completely shut off. Could it be a limitation thing? Maybe if I were to have low Freon, or a broken capacitor, would it automatically shut itself off to avoid further damage? Because if that's the case, then the stick test is rendered useless.

Old 08-28-14, 07:27 PM
According to the manuals I linked to the compressor and the fan motor both have thermal protection and will shut down when over temperature. With the condenser fan not running to cool the compressor it will shut down. Your system is high tech compared to many units and as I stated in my previous post you will need to locate the control board and see if you can see the LED lights either green or amber colored to get a starting point for diagnosis. How old is this system>

Old 08-28-14, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
I was wondering where you got the model number from. I work in so many threads that I click in at the unread posts and didn't see you edited the first post. That's a dynamite A/C system. High tech and big bucks.

Old 08-28-14, 08:03 PM
J
Yeah it is pretty high tech, probably shouldn't have issues but with my luck I do.

Firedawgsta,

Basically could this just be a broken capacitor? I guess the only way to test it without diagnosis is using a multimeter am I correct? I mean sine the compressor not being cooled, the system is off and even if I tested for the broken capacitor with a stick, nothing would happen since it is off.

Old 08-28-14, 08:07 PM
It is possible it is a run capacitor. The "stick test" will not work with it shut down. To do a basic test of the run capacitor to see if it is within specs you will need to have a multimeter that measures capacitance. Were you able to find the control board and look for the LEDs mentioned in my previous post?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: