Independent air handler

Old 08-28-14, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Independent air handler

Hi. I have a Trane XL1800 heat pump with a TWE065E13FBO air handler; Trane Baystat 038A thermostat. Recently, the fan on the air handler seems to run all night. When I get up in the AM, it is still running. I can turn the entire cooling unit off, but the fan continues. If I turn the fan stitch on, then off again, the fan goes off. Is this a relay problem? I have had it to do this months ago, but havenít noticed again until recently. The handler works fine during the rest of the day. Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 06:08 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Fan relay is stuck. Tap on it might break the bond but it will come back.

Old 08-30-14, 06:28 AM
Thanks. I did some tapping around the other day when looking for model numbers, and the thing has been working fine since...

Old 08-30-14, 08:19 AM
I can tell you from personal experience that it will more than likely stick again. The part you need is RLY02807.

Attached Images   
Old 09-16-14, 01:28 PM
Thanks. I can't find a schematic anywhere on this handler. It is lying on its side; all borders are sealed with thick tape, and I hate to go digging senselessly. Where is the relay located? I'm sure I can swap it out if I can find it fairly simply.
Thanks again. (BTW, it still sticks, primarily at night when it's cooler; seems to turn on & off fine in the day time.)

Old 09-16-14, 02:50 PM
You will have to remove the metal access panel on the air handler to reach the relay. Here is a document that may be of benefit to you: http://www.coastalwinair.com/America...e-variable.pdf

After further research, you have an ICM blower motor in your air handler and that requires a different blower relay than the one I first suggested. It will require an ICM fan control or with an ICM blower motor there is a module on the end of the motor that controls the blower and could be the problem.

Here is a link to a thread that shows a problem another member had with an ICM motor: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...wont-turn.html

His issue was different than yours but there are a couple of photos that show the inside of the motor electronic module and the various components that may potentially cause your problem. Hopefully one of the hvac gurus will stop by and hopefully offer a more concrete diagnosis and solution.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-16-14 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 03:05 PM
Thanks, Firedawg. Now that it's cooled off, I've procrastinated and lost some interest, but I know I've still got to get in there and tackle it, better sooner than later. Thanks again for your help. The manual you suggested looks like the correct one. I'll let you know when I get to it.
Thanks again for your time!