Loud bang/boom from compressor, one corner then very hot and leaking.

Old 08-29-14, 12:07 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Loud bang/boom from compressor, one corner then very hot and leaking.

From inside the kitchen, we heard a bang/boom from the outside like a door slamming shut. Went outside and noticed compressor was leaking from one upper corner (looks like it just started) and that corner was very hot. I burned my hand on it and I think the sheet metal is discolored. A/C and compressor seemed to continue to work, but I turned off the A/C and got my camera to take some pics.
I would appreciate opinions on what may have happened and what I would need to do to repair this.
Thanks.

Old 08-29-14, 05:00 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Does not sound good! If comp is leaking then it is dead. If unit is more than 7 years old id replace system

Old 08-29-14, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,601 Votes on 1,475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Post your pictures so we can see what has happened.... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 08-29-14, 08:51 AM
A
Here are the pictures I took.

I've shared the pictures on my Google Drive at
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jg&usp=sharing

Would it be safe for me to try to open the compressor skin to see what it looks like underneath?
Thanks for any comments on what y'all think happened and my options to repair or replace.

Old 08-29-14, 09:26 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think you mean condenser blew out somewhere.No harm checking it out.Not to many people want to repair coils of that age if it's even possible.Might get lucky though.I think you go in from the top in that model.

Old 08-29-14, 11:09 AM
A
Looks like electric component blew.

I added pics to my Google share at
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jg&usp=sharing
Looks like a transformer or something.
Looks like not complicated to replace, if I can figure out the part number and where to get it.
Anybody know or have any caveats?
Thanks.

Old 08-29-14, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Holy moly! That is the worst exploded capacitor (not transformer) I've ever seen.

DO NOT operate the equipment, not that it would probably work anyway. Turn off power at the breaker and carefully label or make a diagram of what wires are attached where. The stuff in the cap is caustic so wear some rubber gloves or only touch it with tools.

You're going to have to cut back and splice the burned wires. Short a screwdriver across the terminals of the mostly intact one to discharge any voltage. Take the capacitors off and see if you can still read any labeling on them. You'll need to replace both of them, available at HVAC supply or Graingers type store.

Pro's will tell you best way of splicing.

Old 08-29-14, 04:22 PM
A
Thanks

Thanks everyone for you insights.
I've decided to have a pro repair this for me so they can test if another component might have been the root cause.
But now I feel more confident that I'll be able to resist any un-needed up-sells if offered.
btw, anybody have a feel for % of times a blown capacitor is caused by another component vs old capacitors just blow sometimes? this unit is about 28 years old.

Thanks again!

Old 08-29-14, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
28 years? Wow...start saving your money even if it can be repaired. I think at this point the tech is really going to recommend replacement and I don't blame him.

Old 08-29-14, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,601 Votes on 1,475 Posts
It would not be un-expected for the compressor to have shorted windings.
That would explain the exploded capacitor.

Name:  cap.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  50.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-29-14 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 05:33 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Glad I was wrong.Hope your luck continues.Might want to ohm out compressor.I have not seen a run cap that bad before ,was wondering where you got the bang from.I would use wire nuts or replace whole wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: