Condensate collection trough is dry

Old 09-01-14, 10:38 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensate collection trough is dry

I've done some searching but haven't encountered anyone else with this problem, yet.

I have an indoor air handler that is part of a heat-pump/ac system in my home. We're currently using it in AC mode. There is water leaking from the base of the unit, but not from the condensate drain line. When I open up the unit and look inside, the base of the unit has filled with about 2" water, and the leaking is from when it gets above that point. The coil is mounted on a slant with a trough underneath to collect the runoff. The trough is dry, so it appears that the condensate is dripping straight down into the bottom of the unit, rather than into the trough and out, the way it was designed. Any ideas what might be happening here? Thanks!

Old 09-01-14, 11:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Could the drip pan have gotten moved? You sure don't want to run the unit with all that water in the air handler. I just had to replace the pan in mine because it leaked and flooded the bottom of the unit. The hardest part was getting all the insulation dry again. I'm not an HVAC guy but they should be along later with better info for you.

Old 09-01-14, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,604 Votes on 1,478 Posts
Possibly unit is running in negative pressure due to a clogged filter.

Pictures are always a help too. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-01-14, 02:01 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does the drain have a trap?

Old 09-01-14, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
One possibility, and what I have seen several times, is when the evaporator coil becomes extremely clogged up. In that situation, the condensate water can't run down the channels in the coil and will drip wherever the blockages are in the coil and never reach the catch pan and drain out of the pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: