Replacment of old central system

Old 09-02-14, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Replacment of old central system

My tri-level home was built in 1996 in central Florida. We have electric heating and AC. My AC Handler motor blew up a few months ago, and the fan went out as well. After labor and parts, we spent around $700.00 repairing/replacing the damages, and this only repaired what was necessary to make it run again, as there are a few more things that could use replacing as well, but its not completely necessary. (My drain pan, and brackets) 3 nights ago, my motor blew up again. I am not in a financial position that I can keep spending this kind of money on a 19 yr old system. My Handler is original (1996) but the AC Unit outside is a 2003 model (I believe). I am considering replacing everything entirely, as we plan to stay in our home for several more years to come, but my goodness the prices are outrageous. Is it possible to replace one thing at a time? Like my Handler and compressor, then duct work, then unit outside? Or is it more cost efficient to replace everything at once?

any advise is HIGHLY appreciated. I am very skeptical on the contractors work around here, as almost all of them have shady reputations, but its summertime in Florida, and I'm desperate..

Old 09-02-14, 10:31 AM
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
It usually is more cost effective to replace everything at once, since the evaporator coil needs to be removed from the air handler assembly if you replace just the A/C. Also, your terminology isn't quite right. The A/C consists of the condenser/compressor (outside unit) and the evaporator coil (attached to the air handler). The condenser/compressor unit and the evaporator coil need to be matched and are usually replaced together.

Old 09-02-14, 10:46 AM
T
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
My AC Handler motor blew up a few months ago, and the fan went out as well. After labor and parts, we spent around $700.00 repairing/replacing the damages, and this only repaired what was necessary to make it run again, as there are a few more things that could use replacing as well, but its not completely necessary. (My drain pan, and brackets) 3 nights ago, my motor blew up again.
Should be under warranty, no?

Old 09-02-14, 10:57 AM
Oh, whoops. I have no idea about the terminology :/ but its not under warranty, because I evidently bought a POS used motor, with the PRICE of a NEW motor. I am certain I was told it was new, which now I'm being told that he had indicated beforehand that it was used. It is BEYOND frustrating. If they are usually purchased and installed at the same time, I wonder why my outside unit is a newer model than the inside parts? We bought our house 3 years ago from a Bank, so we didn't get these valuable details before we bought it. I guess we just need to replace everything then..

Last edited by Libbygray99; 09-02-14 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typos!
Old 09-02-14, 11:09 AM
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
In all likelihood the condenser/compressor and evaporator coil were replaced together. I had A/C added to my existing furnace in 1992. I had the furnace (air handler) replaced with a new high efficiency model about 5 years ago, keeping the old A/C unit. I've been very lucky with it, never having had any problems with it. Everything is still original.

Old 09-02-14, 11:35 AM
ok, that makes sense. maybe I can keep the coil and compressor, and replace everything else?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: