Need help with capacitor wiring.

Old 09-02-14, 06:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with capacitor wiring.

I have a problem with exact same capacitor. Could anyone please help me to fix my A/C. I noticed my A/C unit started to blow warm air, fan is working, but no cold air. I have disconnected everything by now and realized a wire on my capacitor has burned. Wire is under letter C ( common). How should I fix it? Capacitor was changed to new 2 months ago. Thank you.

Old 09-02-14, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved you to your own thread as you don't have a capacitor problem.. you have a wiring problem.

Did just the terminal at the cap burn off or is the wire actually melted ?

A picture or two of your wiring there with the capacitor and contactor would be a big help.
If pictures are a problem then a make and model of your outside unit would be needed.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-02-14, 06:31 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A burned wire on a terminal is a classic sign of a loose connection. The wire terminals have to be very tight. If the capacitor terminals are not damaged then you should be able to re-use it. If there is enough of the burned wire left to reach the capacitor terminals you should be able to strip the wire back and add a new crimp on terminal of the proper size and rating. The crimp terminals should be rated for high temperature. If the wire is not long enough to repair then you will have to replace the entire wire with proper rating and crimps on each end.

Old 09-02-14, 08:35 PM
M
Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  31.3 KB

This is the picture. And can I get 16 wire, because Home Depot does not carry 18. Thank you so much for previous answers if this problem is only wiring. Advice me with exact wire purchase please.

You can see from the picture, wire has burning signs only at the terminals around terminal connectors, but I found one black spot in the middle of the wire as well, so got to change it completely.

Last edited by Martynas LA; 09-02-14 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I recommend using no smaller than 14 gauge wire. Remember the smaller the number the thicker the wire. The middle wire connection on the contactor in your photo does not look too healthy either. I circled the wire/terminal in white on your photo. I suggest you inspect all of the wiring and terminals while you have power shut off to the unit.

Attached Images  

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-02-14 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 10:11 PM
M
Yep, so just to clarify, both sides of the wire from capacitors' C terminal have burned and as i mentioned earlier i found a burned spot in the middle of the wire as well, so gotta change the whole wire, wire did not melt.. Both terminal crimps are burned completely. Here is the pic one more time what i found once opened. Also adding a pic of AC model. I will definately check all the wires and terminals. Thank you.
Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  32.4 KB
Name:  model.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  21.9 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: