Outside fan squealing

Old 09-02-14, 05:50 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside fan squealing

my ac unit is acting weird. it made a squealing sound last night and the fan stopped moving. I pushed the fan blade with a stick and it started working again. U think it's the capacitor?

Separated from...
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...e-minutes.html

Last edited by PJmax; 09-02-14 at 06:31 PM. Reason: started new thread
Old 09-02-14, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The squealing sound you heard could be the fan motor bearings are probably dry and at the least need to be lubed. Some fan motors have ports where you can oil it. In a few cases such as the squealing noise, I have removed the motor, turned it upside down and sprayed some lube on the shaft and oil holes, let it penetrate into the bearings and the noise went away and ran for a long time. It is also possible the fan motor has totally failed and will need to be replaced. I would try getting some lube to the bearings as you have nothing to lose.

Old 09-02-14, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,601 Votes on 1,475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

gisdude..... started a new thread for you as it is very confusing to be working on two problems at the same time in one thread.

Old 09-02-14, 07:10 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
firedawgsatx,
thx for the reply. I used a stick to push the fan, so I'm sure the motor is ok. I hadn't thought of the shaft and bearings. Now, I need to find out out to lube it. I assume motor oil is ok?

It's an 11 year old unit, but I did replace the capacitor about 4 years ago.

Thanks

Old 09-02-14, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When you say you use a stick to push the fan does it start spinning and continue to run normally? If so, that could definitely point to a run capacitor issue. If you turn off power and remove the fan motor and locate the oil ports I prefer to use 3-IN-ONE oil. I usually spray a bit of penetrating oil such as PB Blaster on the shaft to see if it spins freely and then try to get some 3-IN-One oil in. Doing this, you can sometimes get several more years out of the motor. Sometimes oiling it doesn't help and it needs to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: