Water in the bottom of window A/C unit, round 2

Old 09-02-14, 09:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in the bottom of window A/C unit, round 2

I get that the system is designed to use condensate to cool. But the vents where the cool air comes out on my unit (PC Richards Generations brand 5200 btu) are dripping moisture, and the water sloshing around inside is audible now after 3 days of running the unit continuously through hot and humid weather. There is no leaking of water into the room, however.
The previous thread on this was very helpful, but this amount of collected water seems excessive. Furthermore, the unit is less efficient, as the cooled air is picking up moisture as it blows out into the room, quite the opposite of the intended purpose.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 09-02-14, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,601 Votes on 1,475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Water in the bottom is normal. You will hear sloshing around under high humidity usage.

Do you have the unit pitched towards the outside ?
There is usually a low spot where the condensate will drain out of the unit and onto the ground.

Old 09-03-14, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
If you are referring to the thread I think you are the topic was covered quite fully.

Furthermore, the unit is less efficient, as the cooled air is picking up moisture as it blows out into the room, quite the opposite of the intended purpose.
This statement is incorrect.
Window airconditioners have a divider that separates the inside and outside sections of the a/c.
The water you hear sloshing around is in the outside section and has no effect on the room air.

I'll repeat what was in the other thread and say that the water splashing on the condenser increases the units efficiency....IOW more cooling capacity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: