A/C Condensate line to hose

Old 09-09-14, 09:36 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Condensate line to hose

I currently have a 2" drain in my basement that the A/C condensate line drains into. The issue that I am having is that the drain opening is getting pretty crowded. I have a whole house water filtration unit that, during the regeneration cycle, flushes with enough force that while it's terminated into a 1/2"elbow it needs to be ziptied to a brick to keep from coming loose and launching upwards. Also, I have a dehumidifier that terminates into a 1/2" elbow and also drains into it - it actual sits on top of another of the lines and just drips down on top of it. Then I have the 1" condensate line from the A/C unit that terminate into a bulky 1" PVC elbow.

...and now I am putting in a water softener which will have the same high flow rate for a regeneration cycle as the water filter.

So basically, I have a 2" floor drain that is currently tackling:

1/2" elbow - water filter (high flow)
1/2" elbow - dehumidifier (low flow)
1 " elbow - A/C condensate line (low flow) (bulky PVC)

...and will soon take on another 1/2" elbow for a high flow water softener line

So after all that. My question is can I reduce the 1" PVC of the A/C condensate line to a small 1/2" flexible hose with with a hose clamp? Would I need to worry about it backing up or getting buildup and then backing up? Any other thoughts or suggestions on the matter?

Old 09-09-14, 09:59 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you have the space around your current 2" drain you could use a 4" to 2" or 3" to 2" pvc reducer to give you a wider area to place all of your drain pipes into. You would just need to cut a short piece of 2" pipe to fit between the 2" drain and the reducer and stick into the drain.

I wouldn't recommend reducing the size of your a/c condensate drain pipe as the manufacture specifies the diameter of the required drain.

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-14, 12:11 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info about not reducing the condensate drain pipe.

I had thought about what you proposed above, but the condensate drain pipe and the dehumidifier hose would be lower than the rim of the reducer and there isn't enough force in the lines to overcome gravity.

The condensate pipe runs from behind and under the A/C unit itself (relative to the location of the drain) so I would have to redo the PVC coming out of the A/C unit - which may be my only option. Even if I cut the top couple inches off and just start where it tapers down it would still probably be an issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: