AC switch FAN-to-cool mode

Old 10-08-14, 12:05 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question AC switch FAN-to-cool mode

hello guys.
im new here
and i have a question and i hope you can answer it!

i have an AC cooling unit at home, when i turn it on it works and cool fine, and it auto switch to FAN mode by thermostat after reached to my selected temperature, then after some minutes the temp of home go up, it runs cooling again.
This cycle may happen many time during a day because the room is small and AC is big!
So I want to know is it bad for AC compressor/AC unit to switch between FAN Mode and Cooling mode many times during a day?
Does it could damage the AC?
thank you

Old 10-08-14, 04:48 AM
Received 29 Votes on 24 Posts
It's normal for an A/C unit to cycle during the course of a hot day. The unit turns on to cool the room or house and then turns off the compressor. As the room or house warms up, eventually the temperature will reach the thermostat set point and the compressor will start up again to cool the room or house until the temperature has dropped enough to turn off the thermostat. Air conditioners are designed to handle this start/stop operation. That said, frequent starting of the compressor is hard on the compressor, since the startup current is usually much higher than the run current. Also, if your A/C unit is oversized, your humidity will likely be higher than it ideally should be. An A/C unit also removes moisture from the air as well as providing cooling. If the unit is ovesized, it runs for only a short time, thus not removing as much moisture as if it ran for longer periods of time.

Old 10-08-14, 06:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for your reply bob.
as you said
frequent starting of the compressor is hard on the compressor
so you mean cycle of starting may damage the compressor at long time? or it is normal to it?

Old 10-08-14, 06:31 AM
Received 29 Votes on 24 Posts
The compressor is designed to start & stop. However, if you can minimize the number of start/stop cycles, the compressor will probably last longer. Of course, with many A/C systems, leaks develop long before the compressor burns out. While compressor failures do occur, they are not a very common occurrence. In other words, I wouldn't obsess over it. FWIW, my Bryant (Carrier) A/C system is 23 years old and has never had any repairs made to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: