A/C school

Old 12-06-14, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C school

DO any techs on this board know a good school for HVAC that is 6 months or less and costs less than 8K and has a good reputation.....Something someone could get into fairly quickly.....The school in Phoenix is way overpriced....I can travel anywhere..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-14, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm sure there are any number of schools, even in your area, but don't expect to finish school and start making $25 an hour. As in almost any trade, there is licensing and apprenticeship (or at least working under someone in the biz) before you will be able to do anything on your own.

Don't forget the cost of tools and equipment which could easily run several thousand dollars.

Unlike the TV ads...a trade school only gets your foot in the door it does not throw them open.

Old 12-06-14, 08:11 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Six months or less? Are you kidding? A union apprenticeship is four years. There is absolutely no way that you can learn enough in six months to be anything more than a helper to a journeyman.

Old 12-06-14, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
There is absolutely no way that you can learn enough in six months to be anything more than a helper to a journeyman.
That's not necessarily a bad way to get started.... depending on your age.

Old 12-07-14, 12:29 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Nope, nothing at all wrong with being a helper as long as you can find a job as such.

Old 12-07-14, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There is absolutely no way that you can learn enough in six months to be anything more than a helper to a journeyman.
That's what I was trying to say...just didn't know the correct terms.

I spent almost a year in Navy electronics schools, and my first ship...the boss had me just make cables for 2 weeks. Half of which failed his pull test. That was an eye opener.

Took me almost 2 yrs before I was competent to work on general electronics on my own. Even then I was still taught things by the veterans for the next 6 yrs. Then suddenly I was a veteran and was fixing everything that had 'trons in it on the whole damn ship. Generators...no problem. Ovens, no issues. Captains lights, I got it. Hell, I even built fake bombs for SEAL training. (*******s took all of them when they left though!)

As I said...tech school is just a foot in the door.