Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Replacing outdoor condensor motor and dual capacitor on existing Goodman unit

Old 02-01-15, 02:10 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum, and am interested in doing repairs myself as 2 techs have quoted approximately $1,000, but suggested replacement due to age of unit. Hoping to avoid replacement til next year if possible. I looked up the model and got a replacement motor and dual capacitor on Grainger, but when I look at the wiring it is slightly different than current setup. Original motor has 1 purple, 1 brown and 1 black wire. the new motor has 1 brown, 1 brown&white, 1 purple, 1 black wire and a green wire. On the side of the new motor it show how it can be wired for 3-wire connection. The diagram states brown/white goes to insulate, brown goes to cap and purple goes to L1 and black goes to L2. The brown and brown/white have 90 degree spade connectors.

My existing fan has the brown, black and purple all connecting to other wires via wire nuts, those feed into a box on the partition and are wired to the capacitors on other side of unit. Can I save time, and remove spade connector to brown so I can connect that to other brown wire with wire nut, and can I remove spade connector to brown/white so I can insulate that using a wirenut? lastly, where the existing motor grounds is not obvious, however I do see a screw on the inside partition wall on the AC unit, that I assume I can connect the new ground wire to.

thanks in advance,
Nat

Old 02-01-15, 02:42 PM
S
This might help with the wiring.

Attached Images  
Old 02-01-15, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Can I save time, and remove spade connector to brown so I can connect that to other brown wire with wire nut
Yes.

can I remove spade connector to brown/white so I can insulate that using a wire nut?
Yes, as stated in Fact 3, you can tape off the brown wire with a white stripe and connect the motor as a 3 wire motor.

where the existing motor grounds is not obvious, however I do see a screw on the inside partition wall on the AC unit, that I assume I can connect the new ground wire to
I usually connect the ground wire to one of the 4 mounting bolts, but yes.

Old 02-01-15, 10:36 PM
N
Thanks a lot Houston. Really appreciate the responses. Looks like I am looking at clockwise rotation, if I read the 2nd fact from the first dialog. Guess I could connect to one of the mouting bolts on the top grate as well, just go with what's ever easiest. Last question, is it better as a rule of thumb to just tape off the brown & white wire, as opposed to removing the spade and covering with a wire nut? Or is it a case of 6 of 1 half a dozen the other?

Thanks for answering what are probably fairly routine (obvious) questions for me?

regards,
Nat

Old 02-01-15, 11:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Tape, wire nut, crimp cap...... your choice.

Old 02-02-15, 06:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would cut off the spade connector, twist on a wire nut and then tape it.

Old 02-03-15, 07:19 AM
N
Thanks to all the posts. I will install this weekend. Much appreciated ..

Old 02-03-15, 11:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The brown wire with a stripe fact is common with single phase motors but reversing the motor rotation varies.

AO Smith often has a white plug that you unplug and rotate to reverse rotation.

Many motors have 2 male and 2 female wires about 4 inches long that you swap to reverse rotation.

Refer to the box, the motor nomenclature, or the small sticky note on the motor for the procedure to reverse rotation with your motor.

Old 02-09-15, 10:22 PM
N
Follow up

Thanks again for the advice. It worked as hoped, and all your help was very much appreciated.

Nat

Old 02-10-15, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is great news.

Thanks for the follow up post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: