Condenser and Blower Working, No Air From Vents

Old 05-04-15, 04:55 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condenser and Blower Working, No Air From Vents

Right now we don't have any air flow from the vents in the house. I've checked with the condenser and the blower, and both seem to be working with no issues. The filter is new, so that's not the issue. I did notice a good amount of condensation on a pipe leading to the air handler, which was abnormal. I should mention this is an older house with large return ducts.

I'm not sure what I need to check next, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bigbn; 05-04-15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 05:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you saying the indoor blower is working but there is no airflow from the vents?
If so; the evaporator cold be iced-over.

System may be low on refrigerant...

Old 05-04-15, 05:37 PM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
If the condenser unit and the blower unit are both working, but you're not getting any significant airflow, chances are the evaporator coil ("radiator" that gets cold and is inside your air handler) is frozen, blocking the airflow through it. Switch your thermostat to turn off the condenser unit (not calling for cooling), but turn the fan on (set fan to Manual rather than Auto). As the ice starts to melt, the air trying to blow through the evaporator should help melt the ice faster. Optionally, you can just turn off the entire system and wait for the ice to melt on its own. If it's ice, it will probably take 12-24 hours to melt.

After it's melted, you should get normal airflow. If you do get normal airflow when the blower is running (but condenser off), then it definitely is an ice problem. The most likely reason for the evaporator freezing is low refrigerant charge. You'll need to get an A/C tech out to check the refrigerant level and add refrigerant if necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: