Air conditioner not working

Old 05-09-15, 02:51 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air conditioner not working

Recently I noticed my air would blow hot on cooled setting and cool on hot setting. The day i noticed i switched it off and it wouldn't turn it off i had to flip the breaker to turn it off. It did that twice. Now it is working right with the settings and turning off but it is not blowing air like it is supposed to on the cool setting more like humid air barely blowing and i noticed the fan outside wasn't moving even though the air was on. The day before the air started messing up I would hear a strange sound before it would kick on. I dont know if it is electrical or the air conditioner.

Last edited by Amber Seymour; 05-09-15 at 02:54 PM. Reason: auto correct
Old 05-09-15, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you have a heat pump system and that there is a problem in the outside condenser. We could list the problems but are you going to repair it or will you be calling for service ?

Old 05-09-15, 04:42 PM
A
This is Amber Seymour i accidentally logged out after signing in with fb and had to make a new one. Im wanting right try and fix it myself considering it'll cost a while lot more to hire someone

Old 05-09-15, 04:45 PM
A
What is a heat pump system?

Old 05-10-15, 04:20 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 50 Posts
A heat pump is basically an air conditioner that can run "in reverse" to heat the house in the winter. An A/C or heat pump moves heat from one place to another. When a heat pump is running in A/C mode, it moves the heat from the house and moves it outside. In heating mode, it moves heat from outside into the house. The reversing valve is what controls whether the heat pump in in heating or cooling mode.

Old 05-10-15, 09:44 AM
A
maybe but I dont think thats what we have. I live in a trailer and it is just like a regular central heat and air system except we have an old thermostat. It started acting up a couple months ago and not reading the temp right. I just don't know what to do we don't have the money to call someone .. just hoping we can afford to do it on our own. . Whatever it is.

Old 05-10-15, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
Ok... we need to know exactly what you have. It sounds like a gas fired furnace with a central air conditioner attached to that furnace.... is that correct ?

Unfortunately a volt meter is required for servicing and to make measurements. The thermostat always gets blamed for problems but is very rarely bad.

If you feel certain that it is the thermostat then replace it. If you locate a meter or a meter and person that can use it.... we can go into checking things. Let us know what you want to do.

Old 05-10-15, 06:13 PM
A
Ok the label on the thing outside says split heat pump (outdoor section)

Old 05-10-15, 06:16 PM
A
Sorry i don't know a THING about this

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: