Float switch install

Old 05-25-15, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Float switch install

In an early thread I said that the AC tech didn't install float switch.

I looked into it. it seems very easy to install and ordered RactorSeal SS2 for secondary drain. I can just buy PVC thread and open the secondary drain from the AH to install it from there.

But I'm not sure how to seal it. I know that you can use thread sealant. but I don't want to permanently seal it in case I need to replace and do it again. I saw some AC tech using white compound to apply joints and around the PVC thread connecting to the primary and secondary drain openings. But they don't look like plumber's putty. can anyone tell me what that is?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-15, 02:32 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
There is no pressure involved there I would just wrap the threads with Teflon tape.
Geo

Old 05-25-15, 02:35 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Use a non-hardening paste thread sealant containing Teflon. Lots of different brands and readily available at the big box mega-mart homecenter in the plumbing department. Read the label before you buy to ensure it is compatible with the PVC plastic fittings.

Old 05-25-15, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
If you have a pan under your air handler or evaporator coil, a Rectorseal Aquaguard AG-1100 would be more reliable.

Name:  ag-1100-1.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  30.1 KB

I have removed the switch you have and installed the model that mounts on the secondary pan a few times.

The primary drain grows slime and this slime can prevent a float from rising and opening the circuit that it is protecting.

96100 (AG-1100+) - RectorSeal

Old 05-25-15, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't have a secondary drain pan.

Old 05-25-15, 05:35 PM
Thank you very much for replying.
I couldn't find Aquaguard from Amazon or anywhere that is suited for secondary drain protection. MY AH doesn't have emergency drain pan. So I bought RactorSeal SS2.

I attached two pictures. The first one is the top of the AH and second one is the bottom of AH (trane brand 3 T).
I have two follow-up questions
for wiring, I just need to open the AH and rehook red wire for the T-stat? I marked A for the T-Stat. I just want to make sure it's correct.
for the float switch, I saw a small opening around the primary drain pipe (I marked it as B). I assume if I open the cover, I will find the secondary drain opening where I can screw my pipe and for the float switch?

Name:  AH_Top.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  19.0 KB
Name:  AH_Bottom.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  26.6 KB

Old 05-25-15, 08:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I can't see B very well but it should be there or on the right side.

Old 05-26-15, 08:44 AM
Houston204,
Thank you for your clarification. I'm a bit puzzled by lack of standard of which side the secondary drain opening is. Or is it just my misunderstanding of this?
My own home has two AC unites (the one here is a rental unit). Both from my own home are Trane as well. Air handlers are horizontally installed. Both have secondary drain openings on the left. In addition to being horizontally installed, another difference is that furnaces from my own home are gas heated. The pictures here are from a heat pump and furnace is vertically installed.
Is there an industry standard on which side should secondary drain opening be located?