half of vents in each room working

Old 05-26-15, 06:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
half of vents in each room working

Hi everyone,
So I noticed that despite the a/c being on 71, it was still pretty hot upstairs (I have a 2 level house). I realized that of each of the rooms upstairs (3 bedrooms) only one of the two vent registers in each room was putting out cold air. The other register in each room was putting out nothing. I turned the a/c off and turned the furnace on just to test, and the same thing--hot air only coming out of the one working vent in each room. (I am really new to owning a house, so I thought maybe one register was for hot air and one for cold).

Anyway, how do I even go about trying to find out the problem? I also noticed on the first floor, only 2 of 4 vents on that level seem to be working (but its still cooler than upstairs, I guess because its generally harder to keep upstairs rooms cooler).

Thanks for any help whatsoever!

Last edited by Sasha Schiavone; 05-26-15 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-15, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It is harder to cool upstairs as the cold air falls.

Those registers where no air is coming out may actually be return vents. Try taking a single sheet of toilet paper and see if it sticks to the grill.

Old 05-26-15, 06:24 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
The registers that you're not feeling any air coming out of are almost certainly the return ducts. The system circulates the air, heating or cooling it in the process. In order to circulate the air, it pulls air from the room through the return vent, cools or heats the air, and expels it through the register where you're feeling air blowing.

Old 05-26-15, 06:48 PM
thanks for the reply! that makes sense. Although, i cant feel any suction at all from the vent that isn't blowing out air (the return vent, i am guessing). I am going to crank the a/c up to see if the return vent will start to suction air back...

Last edited by Sasha Schiavone; 05-26-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 07:05 PM
i did the toilet paper trick and sure enough, i could tell it was suctioning! must just be extra humid here and hard to cool off the upstairs! thanks for the help

Old 05-26-15, 08:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
It might be time to get the outdoor unit rinsed off and the system checked out.